Word Online Copilot Fails to Recognize Local Files

In Word Online, when using the Copilot Pro feature, I try to reference my content by typing a slash "/". However, Copilot doesn't provide any suggestions, even though there are relevant Word files in the same OneDrive directory. When I click the clip button to reference my content, browse files from the cloud, and select the Recent tab, I get a "Something went wrong" error with a generalException message. Although I can search for and find the file manually, attaching it doesn't work. I'm using a Copilot Pro trial subscription, and my documents are in Spanish. I have a Microsoft 365 subscription for OneDrive, but not for the desktop version of Word, and I work exclusively in Word Online.

Hey there, I understand your frustration. I’ve got some steps you can follow to troubleshoot the issue with Word Online Copilot not recognizing local files.

First, let’s cover some basics to ensure everything is in order. Since you’re using Word Online and OneDrive, make sure you’re signed in with the correct account. Sometimes, it’s as simple as logging out and back in to refresh the connection.

Here are some steps you can take:

1. Check File Format and Content: Ensure your local Word files are in .docx format and contain sufficient content for Copilot to suggest relevant information. The content should be meaningful enough for Copilot to recognize it. If the files are mostly empty or have little context, Copilot won’t work properly.

2. OneDrive File Visibility: Verify that the files are not hidden or private. If they are, Goiland should not be able to see them even if you’re in the same directory. Make sure the files are marked as visible to you.

3. OneDrive Syncing: Ensure your OneDrive is synced correctly. Check if there are any sync issues or if your files are up-to-date. You can check the sync status on your device or in your OneDrive settings.

4. Recent Tab Error: When you encounter the “Something went wrong” error, try refreshing the page. If the issue persists, clear your browser cache and cookies. Sometimes, this resolves connectivity issues.

5. File Permissions: Ensure that your account has the necessary permissions to access the files. You should have read and write permissions for Copilot to work correctly with your files.

6. Language Settings: Since your documents are in Spanish, check that your Microsoft 365 account language settings are set to Spanish as well. Sometimes, language mismatches can cause issues with Copilot functionality.

7. Copilot Pro Trial: Double-check if your Copilot Pro trial subscription includes support for your local files. Some trial versions might have limitations in terms of file visibility. If you’re stuck, reach out to Microsoft support for assistance specific to your trial plan.

8. Microsoft Support: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, I recommend reaching out directly to Microsoft 365 support. They should be able to help you debug the problem or provide more detailed guidance specific to your setup.

Hopefully, these steps help you troubleshoot and resolve the issue. Let me know if you need further assistance