Word 2013 Shortcut Not Working as Expected

Hi all,

I'm using an older version of Word (2013) on my device since it can't handle newer Office versions.

After reinstalling Windows and Office, I noticed an issue with my custom shortcuts in Word.

I had set Ctrl+Spacebar for "no-width optional break", but when I use it while typing, the font and text direction change (my language is written right-to-left, and it switches to left-to-right).

However, if I type a word, then move the cursor to the middle of it and use the shortcut, it works correctly.

Can anyone explain why this is happening?

Hey there,

It seems like an odd issue you’re facing. Here’s what I think might be happening:

Explanation

1. Conflict with another shortcut: Ctrl+Spacebar is already used by Word for toggling between the current input language and the system language. When you type a word and go back to the middle, Word might be recognizing the word you just typed and switching to that language. This could be causing the conflict.
  2. Current Words Behavior: I think your shortcuts are colliding. It seems like you’ve reassigned Ctrl+Spacebar, but Word is still holding on to its original function.

How to fix it

1. Disable language switching shortcut: Press Alt+F8 to open the Macro dialog, then click Options and deselect Keyboard Only. This should remove the default shortcut for language switching.
  2. Check for other conflicts: Go to Tools > Customize > Keyboard. Look for any other shortcuts using Ctrl+Spacebar and change them if you find any.
  3. Reset custom shortcuts: If the above steps don’t work, you can try resetting all custom shortcuts. Backup your shortcuts first, then reset them by deleting the Word paradigm template file. You can find it in your Windows user directory under \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word. Delete the Word Paradigm Template.dotx file and restart Word. Then, it might be helpful to reassign your shortcuts.

Give these steps a shot and see if they resolve the issue for you. Good luck, and let us know if you need further assistance.