Windows PC Frozen on Scanning and Repairing Drive C: at 14% Completion

I'm having an issue with my virtual machine server, which is stuck on a screen that says "Scanning and repairing drive (C:): 14% complete" and won't budge.

Sounds like a frustrating issue I’ve got some steps to help you troubleshoot and possibly fix the problem.

First, let’s try to understand what’s going on. The “Scanning and repairing drive” process is usually a normal part of the Windows startup process, but it can get stuck if there are issues with the file system or disk errors.

Here’s what you can try:

1. Wait it out (optional): If you’re feeling patient, let the process run for a few hours to see if it completes. Sometimes, it just needs some time to finish.

If that doesn’t work, try the following:

1. Force shutdown and restart: Press and hold the power button on your virtual machine server until it shuts down. Then, press the power button again to turn it back on. This can sometimes kickstart the process.

If you’re still stuck, let’s try some more advanced troubleshooting:

1. Check disk errors: You can try running the built-in Check Disk (chkdsk) utility to scan for and fix disk errors. To do this, you’ll need to boot into the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). Here’s how:

a. Restart your virtual machine server.
b. As it boots up, press the F8 key repeatedly until you see the Advanced Boot Options menu.
c. Select “Repair your computer” and then “Troubleshoot”.
d. Click on “Advanced options” and then “Command Prompt”.
e. In the Command Prompt, type chkdsk C: (without quotes) and press Enter. This will scan the C: drive for errors.

If chkdsk doesn’t find any issues or doesn’t help, you can try the following:

1. Run a System File Checker (SFC) scan: This scan checks for corrupted system files and replaces them with healthy ones. To do this, follow the same steps as above to get to the Command Prompt in WinRE, and then type sfc /scannow (without quotes) and press Enter.

If none of these steps help, it’s possible that there’s a more serious issue with your virtual machine server, such as a corrupted operating system or a problem with the virtualization software. You may want to consider seeking further assistance from the virtualization software’s support team or a Windows expert.

Hope this helps Let me know if you have any further questions or need more guidance.