Windows asks for my location, why?

I'm wondering if I can prevent a specific issue from happening. Before making a purchase, I compare prices online by opening multiple tabs for different stores, like Menards, Home Depot, and Lowe's. Each site automatically detects my local saved location, but a notification also pops up asking to access my location, with options to allow, block, or dismiss it.

Is there a way to stop this notification from appearing? Could it be related to my browser setting to delete cookies when I close it?

I find it strange that the browser can load my local store location but still asks for permission to access my location.

If you’re tired of seeing those location access notifications every time you compare prices online, there are a few things you can do to stop them from popping up.

Browser Settings

You can disable location access requests in your browser. Here are the steps for each of the major browsers:

Chrome

1. Press Alt-F to open the menu, then click Settings.
  2. Scroll down to the bottom, click Show advanced settings, then click the Content settings button.
  3. Scroll down to the Location section, then enable Do not allow any site to track your physical location.
  4. Close the Settings tab.

Edge

1. Type Privacy in the Windows search bar and click Privacy settings.
  2. Click Location, then scroll down to the section labeled “Choose apps that can use your precise location.”
  3. Find Microsoft Edge in the list and change the setting to Off.

Firefox

1. Type about:config in the address bar and press Enter.
  2. Click the acknowledgement button indicating you’re OK with the risks associated with changing browser settings.
  3. In the search box, type geo.enabled. When that setting appears below, double-click it to toggle it off (i.e., from “true” to “false”).
  4. Close the about:config tab.

Windows Settings

Another way to prevent these notifications is through your Windows settings. Here’s how:

1. Open Settings (Win + I).
  2. Click on Privacy & security on the left side, and click on Location on the right side.
  3. Turn Off the Location services for what you want.

Local Settings and Security Policy

For a more granular control, you can also modify the registry settings or use the Local Group Policy Editor to disable location access for specific apps. Here are the detailed steps for using the registry method:

1. Turn_on_location_services.reg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CapabilityAccessManager\ConsentStore\location]

"Value"="Allow"

2. Turn_off_location_services.reg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CapabilityAccessManager\ConsentStore\location]

"Value"="Deny"

3. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

4. Double-click on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

5. When prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

Cookies and Data

Deleting cookies when closing your browser won’t affect the location access requests. It’s a separate setting than saving cookies.

Website Functionality

The reason the sites you visit can automatically detect your local stored location but still ask for permission is because the location access permission is used for more precise location tracking. The initial detection is likely done through cookies or other online tracking methods, but the sites need the permission to access your precise location if they want to provide location-based services.

Geographic Location Service

For both Windows and browsers, the Enable or Disable Location Services options require the Geolocation Service to be running. This service allows your device and apps to use your location.