Windows Apps Cause My PC to Freeze

I've got a brand new laptop, but I'm experiencing a weird issue. Whenever I open certain built-in apps like Settings, Edge, Run, or File Explorer, they become unresponsive. Although they don't crash, I can't interact with them - can't close them, click on anything inside or outside the app. My mouse still works, and I can use hotkeys to adjust settings like refresh rate and backlight. It's as if they're still loading, but I'm stuck. I've tried a factory reset, but that didn't work. Even the Advanced Startup option becomes unresponsive, so I can't access BIOS. Strangely, all my other apps like Discord and games work just fine. (As I'm typing this on my phone, my laptop just blue-screened and restarted). Please help!

Hey there, sorry to hear that your brand new laptop is giving you trouble. The symptoms you’re describing are definitely unusual, but don’t worry, we can troubleshoot this together.

First, let’s try to identify the common denominator among the affected apps. Since they’re all built-in apps, it’s possible that the issue lies with a system component or service. Here are some steps to help us narrow down the problem:

1. System File Checker (SFC): This tool scans and replaces corrupted system files. Open Command Prompt as an administrator (right-click on the Start button and select “Command Prompt (Admin)”) and run the following command: sfc /scannow. Let it complete, then restart your laptop.
  2. Disable Fast Startup: This feature can sometimes cause issues with system apps. Press the Windows key + X and select “Device Manager.” In the Device Manager, expand the “Universal Serial Bus Controllers” section, right-click on each item, and select “Disable device.” Then, go to “Settings” (if you can access it) and navigate to “Accounts” > “Sign-in options” and toggle off “Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart.”
  3. Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter: This tool can help fix issues with Windows Store apps, which might be related to your problem. Download the troubleshooter from the Microsoft website and run it.
  4. Event Viewer: This will help us identify any system errors that might be related to the freezing issue. Press the Windows key + R, type “eventvwr” and press Enter. In the Event Viewer, navigate to “Windows Logs” and look for errors around the time when the apps freeze. Take note of any error codes or descriptions that might give us a clue.
  5. Clean Boot: This will help us isolate if some third-party service or driver is causing the issue. Press the Windows key + R, type “msconfig” and press Enter. In the System Configuration window, navigate to the “Services” tab, check the box next to “Hide all Microsoft services,” and then click “Disable all.” Restart your laptop and see if the issue persists.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, we might need to dig deeper. Please report back with the results of these steps, and we’ll take it from there.