Windows 11 Sound Not Working Despite Troubleshooting Efforts

I'm having trouble with my Windows 11 sound system. Despite trying various troubleshooting steps and seeking help from a Microsoft expert who remotely accessed my PC, I still can't find a solution. I've also tried many suggested fixes from online "experts" without success. I think the answer might be simple, and I'd appreciate it if someone could help me out. The issue is that the Windows sound icon only turns sound on or off, but doesn't adjust the volume, even though it makes sounds when moved up and down. As a result, I have to control the volume through the source (like iTunes) or the volume mixer. The same goes for regulating sound using my keyboard. Why isn't the Windows 11 volume control the default overriding control?

Here is a detailed and casual response with clear advice:

Hey there, sorry to hear that you’re struggling with your Windows 11 sound system. Despite trying various troubleshooting steps and seeking help from a Microsoft expert, I’ll take a fresh look at the issue.

The problem you described, where the Windows sound icon only turns sound on or off without adjusting the volume, indicates that there might be an issue with the sound driver or settings. Here are some additional steps you can take to troubleshoot and hopefully solve the problem:

1. Update Sound Drivers:

• Go to Device Manager (you can search for it in the Start menu).
    • Find Sound, video and game controllers and expand it.
    • Right-click on your sound device (e.g., Realtek Audio) and click Update driver.
    • Follow the prompts to search for and install updates.
  2. Check Sound Settings:

• Go to Settings and click on System.
    • Click on Sound from the left menu.
    • Under Output, ensure the correct Speaker or Headphones is selected.
    • You can also check the App volume and device preferences and adjust volume settings for individual apps.
  3. Disable and Re-enable the Sound Device:

• In Device Manager (as above), find Sound, video and game controllers and expand it.
    • Right-click on your sound device and click Disable device.
    • Wait a few seconds and then enable it again.
  4. Run the Windows Audio Troubleshooter:

• Press the Windows key + S to open the search.
    • Type “Sound Troubleshooter” and click on it.
    • Follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter, which may detect and fix common issues.

If these steps don’t resolve the issue, you might want to reinstall the sound drivers or perform a system restore to a previous working point. Let me know if you have any further questions or need more assistance.