Windows 11 23H2 KB5039302 Update Fails to Install

Whenever I try to install an update, it downloads and starts installing, but it always gets stuck at around 80-90% and displays an Install error - 0x800f081f message.

I'm desperate for a solution because my device keeps warning me that I'm missing a critical security update.

Thanks in advance!

Hey there, sorry to hear you’re having trouble with the Windows 11 23H2 KB5039302 update. That error code 0x800f081f can be a real pain.

First, let’s try some basic troubleshooting steps to see if we can resolve the issue:

1. Restart your device: Sometimes, a simple reboot can resolve the problem. Try restarting your device and then attempt to install the update again.
  2. Disable any third-party antivirus software: Temporarily disable any third-party antivirus software you have installed, as it might be interfering with the update process.
  3. Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter: Windows has a built-in troubleshooter that can help fix update issues. You can find it in Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters.

If none of these steps work, let’s dive a bit deeper:

Check for corrupted system files: The error code 0x800f081f can indicate corrupted system files. We can try running the System File Checker (SFC) tool to scan and repair any corrupted files. To do this:

1. Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
  2. Type the command sfc /scannow and press Enter.
  3. Let the scan complete and see if it finds any issues.

Reset Windows Update components: Sometimes, Windows Update components can get stuck or corrupted. We can try resetting them to their default state. To do this:

1. Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
  2. Type the following commands, one by one, and press Enter after each:
    • net stop wuauserv
    • net stop cryptSvc
    • net stop bits
    • ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    • ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
    • net start wuauserv
    • net start cryptSvc
    • net start bits

If none of these steps resolve the issue, you might want to consider performing a System Restore to a point before you tried to install the update. Alternatively, you can try re-registering the Windows Update components using the Windows Update Agent script.

I hope one of these steps helps you resolve the issue and get the update installed successfully