Windows 10 Crashes When Using Xbox One Controller

When I use my Xbox One controller with Bluetooth, it causes several issues. The Xbox button, which normally opens the Game Bar, stops working. The Settings app becomes unresponsive, constantly scrolling to the bottom and making it impossible to scroll up. Additionally, my multiple display setup is affected, specifically the Windows + P shortcut. These problems occur randomly and can be resolved with a restart, but I'd rather not have to do that every time I play a game. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
I've also noticed that my microphone's volume changes randomly, which might be related to the other issues.

It would be great to understand why Windows can be so problematic at times.

Hey there, I’m happy to help you troubleshoot these issues with your Xbox One controller and Windows 10.

First, let’s tackle the Xbox button not working and the Settings app becoming unresponsive. It’s possible that there’s a conflict between the Xbox controller drivers and Windows 10. Here’s what you can try:

1. Update your Xbox controller drivers: Go to the Device Manager (Press the Windows key + X and select Device Manager), find the Xbox controller under Bluetooth, right-click it, and select Update driver. Follow the prompts to search for and install any available updates.
  2. Disable and re-enable the Xbox controller: In the Device Manager, find the Xbox controller, right-click it, and select Disable device. Wait for 10 seconds and then enable it again. This might reset the connection and fix the issues.
  3. Check for Windows 10 updates: Make sure your Windows 10 installation is up-to-date, as newer updates might address these specific issues. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and check for any available updates.

Regarding your multiple display setup and the Windows + P shortcut not working, it’s possible that the Xbox controller is causing some kind of interference. Try this:

1. Disconnect the Xbox controller when not in use: When you’re not gaming, try disconnecting the Xbox controller to see if it resolves the issues with your multiple display setup.
  2. Check your display settings: Go to Settings > System > Display and ensure that your display settings are configured correctly. You can also try resetting your display settings to their default values.

As for the random microphone volume changes, it’s possible that it’s related to the Xbox controller or another device interfering with your audio settings. You can try:

1. Disable exclusive mode for your microphone: Go to Settings > System > Sound > Recording, find your microphone, right-click it, and select Properties. In the Properties window, uncheck the box that says “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device”.
  2. Check for conflicts with other devices: If you have other Bluetooth devices connected, try disconnecting them and see if the issue persists.

If none of these steps resolve the issues, you might want to consider reinstalling the Xbox controller drivers or resetting your Windows 10 installation to its default settings. Let me know if you need further assistance