Why Do OneDrive Deletions Affect My Computer?

I'm frustrated with OneDrive's behavior. When I delete files on the cloud, they're also removed from my PC. I didn't realize OneDrive was backing up everything, which even prevented me from receiving emails. To fix the email issue, I logged into OneDrive and deleted the unwanted files. However, when I started my PC a few days later, all my documents and work were gone I don't understand why deleting files on the cloud affects the files on my local machine. This cloud syncing feature has caused me to lose all my important files.

Sorry to hear you’re going through this OneDrive nightmare.

First, let’s clarify how OneDrive works. It’s a cloud storage service that syncs your files across all your devices connected to your Microsoft account. This means that anything you upload, edit, or delete on OneDrive will be reflected on all linked devices.

Here’s why your local files were deleted:

1. You enabled OneDrive on your PC, which started syncing your local files with your cloud storage.
  2. When you deleted files on the cloud, OneDrive assumed those files were no longer needed and deleted the local copies as well.

To avoid this in the future and recover your lost files, follow these steps:

1. Stop the sync immediately: Pause the OneDrive sync on your PC by right-clicking the OneDrive icon in your system tray, then selecting “Pause syncing.”
  2. Check the OneDrive recycle bin: Visit the OneDrive website, click on the “Recycle bin” link, and see if your deleted files are there. You can restore them from here if they haven’t been permanently deleted yet.
  3. Use the “Files On-Demand” feature: Go to your OneDrive settings on your PC and enable “Files On-Demand.” This will allow you to view your OneDrive files without automatically downloading them to your local machine. You can then choose which files to download and sync.
  4. Set up a separate backup: Consider using a different backup service or method to ensure your local files are safely backed up, just in case something goes wrong with OneDrive again.
  5. Be more careful when deleting files on OneDrive: Make sure you fully understand the implications of deleting files on the cloud, as it will affect your local copies as well.