When did Microsoft relax Copilots hardware requirements, allowing it to run on older Windows 10 PCs like my partners 7-year-old machine?

When Microsoft introduced AI features, I immediately switched to Linux. I advised my partner to stick with Windows 10 until its end of service, as we own multiple copies of Windows 10 Pro. However, I recently saw a large white bar on the right side of her PC with Copilot features and an icon in the taskbar. There was also a desktop icon related to AI images, which couldn't be removed or deleted directly. I had to take several steps in settings to remove it, and my partner didn't add these features herself.
I thought Copilot required specific CPU hardware to run, but it seems that's no longer the case. I'm concerned about the privacy implications of recording everything on the screen, especially since it can't be fully turned off, only "disabled".

My question is, when did Microsoft change their mind about Copilot's hardware requirements?

And why is this feature enabled by default? I know the reason, but I doubt Microsoft will admit it.

I'm currently teaching my partner how to use Linux.
As a long-time Windows user, I'm disappointed in Microsoft's direction. My PC should be under my control.

I'm not the one who needs help; Microsoft should be worried about the potential legal consequences of their actions.

TLDR: I'm frustrated with Copilot and Microsoft's disregard for customer privacy and control.

I totally get your frustration with Microsoft’s direction on this.

To answer your question, Microsoft did relax the hardware requirements for Copilot, but it’s not like they suddenly decided to make it compatible with older PCs. The thing is, Copilot is a cloud-based AI service, so it doesn’t necessarily require specific CPU hardware to run. It’s more about the browser and OS version you’re running.

As for when this change happened, I think you’re referring to the Windows 10 22H2 update, which introduced the Windows Copilot feature to more devices. This update rolled out in October 2022, and it’s likely that’s when your partner’s PC got the feature.

Now, about your concerns with privacy and control - I completely understand where you’re coming from. It’s annoying that Copilot is enabled by default, and you’re right that it can’t be fully turned off, only “disabled.” Here’s what you can do to take back some control:

1. Go to Settings > System > Notifications & actions.
  2. Toggle off the switch for “Suggested actions” to prevent Copilot from popping up.
  3. To remove the Copilot icon from the taskbar, right-click on it and select “Unpin from taskbar.”
  4. For the desktop icon, you can right-click on it, select “Properties,” and then change the shortcut’s target to something else or delete it altogether.

It’s great that you’re teaching your partner about Linux, and I’m sure they’ll appreciate the added control and privacy it offers. As for Microsoft, yeah, they should be more transparent about their features and give users more control over their own devices.