USB-C Port Only Charges When Laptop is Turned Off

I'm having trouble charging my Windows 11 device when it's turned on. I've tried using the original charger, which works with other devices and has the correct wattage, as well as multiple other chargers. Since the charger works when the system is off, I don't think it's a hardware issue. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling battery drivers, resetting power plan settings to default, and even performing a factory reset, but the problem persists. The device won't charge when it's on, although the USB-C charge port does recognize when I plug in an external device. Additionally, when I use a USB-C hub to connect to an external monitor, the device can't detect a second monitor.

Hey there, I’m happy to help you troubleshoot this issue.

First, let’s rule out any software-related problems. Since you’ve already tried reinstalling battery drivers and resetting power plan settings, let’s dive deeper. Here are some potential solutions:

1. Disable and re-enable the USB Root Hub: This might sound simple, but it’s worth a shot. Go to Device Manager (Press the Windows key + X and select Device Manager), expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers, right-click on USB Root Hub, and select Disable device. Wait for 10 seconds and then enable it again.

2. Update or reinstall USB-C drivers: It’s possible that the USB-C drivers are causing the issue. In Device Manager, expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers, right-click on USB-C drivers (it might be listed as USB Type-C Port or something similar), and select Update driver. Follow the prompts to search for and install any available updates. If that doesn’t work, try uninstalling the driver and then reinstalling it.

3. Check for firmware updates: Outdated firmware can cause issues with USB-C ports. Check your laptop manufacturer’s website for any firmware updates related to the USB-C port or the charging system. Follow their instructions to update the firmware.

4. Disable Power Management for the USB-C port: Sometimes, Power Management can interfere with charging. Go to Device Manager, expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers, right-click on the USB-C driver, and select Properties. Uncheck the box next to “Selective suspend” and click OK.

5. Try a different USB-C port (if available): If your laptop has multiple USB-C ports, try using a different one to rule out any port-specific issues.

6. Check for conflicts with other devices: If you’re using a USB-C hub to connect to an external monitor, try disconnecting the hub and any other devices connected to the USB-C port. Then, try charging your laptop again to see if any of those devices are causing the issue.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it’s possible that there’s a hardware problem with your laptop’s charging system. You might want to consider contacting the manufacturer or visiting a repair center for further assistance.

Let me know if any of these steps help or if you need further guidance