Upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11

I’m using a Windows 7 PC as a spare and I want to upgrade to Windows 11. However, I know that I need to install Windows 10 first. My question is:

Do I need to buy separate licenses for both Windows 10 and Windows 11?

Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 11 can be a bit of a journey, but don’t worry, I’ve got you covered.

First things first, yes, you’re correct that you need to upgrade to Windows 10 before you can upgrade to Windows 11. Now, about the licenses: you don’t necessarily need to buy separate licenses for both Windows 10 and Windows 11.

Here’s what you can do:

1. Upgrade to Windows 10 for free: If your Windows 7 PC is genuine and you’re running a valid copy of Windows 7, you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free using the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft’s website. This will give you a digital license for Windows 10.
  2. Upgrade to Windows 11: Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10, you can upgrade to Windows 11 using the Windows Update tool. Since you’ll already have a digital license for Windows 10, you won’t need to buy a separate license for Windows 11.

However, if your Windows 7 PC is not genuine or you’re running an invalid copy of Windows 7, you’ll need to buy a license for Windows 10. In this case, you can purchase a license from Microsoft’s website or an authorized reseller.

Additionally, keep in mind that Windows 11 has some system requirements that your Windows 7 PC might not meet. Make sure to check the system requirements for Windows 11 before upgrading.

I hope that helps Let me know if you have any other questions.