Unfamiliar Email Address in Microsoft Notification

Hello,

I got an email from Microsoft's account protection team, saying that signing into my account is now easier. The email says:

Approving sign-in notifications for my account [removed for privacy] is quick and easy. Using the Outlook app on my Samsung SM-A146P, I'll get a notification and just need to tap to approve it.

The thing is, I don't recognize the email address or device mentioned. I've checked my Microsoft account and everything looks fine, with no suspicious email addresses. What should I do, as I'm worried about this?

Best regards

Hey there,

First off, kudos to you for being vigilant about your account security If you don’t recognize the email address or device mentioned, it’s definitely worth investigating. Here’s what you should do:

1. Change your Microsoft account password: Just to be safe, immediately change your password to a strong, unique one. This will ensure that even if someone managed to get access, they won’t be able to do anything with the new password.

2. Check for any suspicious devices or sessions: Head to your Microsoft account settings and review the list of devices that have accessed your account. Look for any devices you don’t recognize, especially the Samsung SM-A146P mentioned in the email. If you see anything suspicious, remove those devices from the list.

3. Verify your account info: Double-check your account information, including your email address, phone number, and any other recovery options. Make sure everything is up to date and accurate.

4. Report the email to Microsoft: Forward the email to report@microsoft.com so they can investigate and take appropriate action. This will help them track down the source of the email and prevent any further phishing attempts.

5. Enable two-factor authentication: If you haven’t already, enable two-factor authentication (2FA) on your Microsoft account. This adds an extra layer of security, making it much harder for someone to access your account even if they have your password.

6. Keep an eye on your account activity: Regularly check your account activity, including the “Recent activity” section, to ensure no suspicious sign-ins or transactions have occurred.

By following these steps, you should be able to secure your account and prevent any potential issues. Remember to stay vigilant and keep an eye out for any further suspicious emails or activity.

Best regards