Turn Off Tablet Mode or Use Keyboard Instead

I’m using a Lenovo Flex 5-1470 with Windows 11 and I want to connect it to an external monitor while in tablet mode. However, when I switch to tablet mode, the keyboard and trackpad stop working. Despite my research and efforts, I haven’t found a way to enable them in this mode.

I’ve had no luck getting help from Lenovo or Microsoft, and I’m getting frustrated.

So, I’m asking:

Can I disable tablet mode for good?
Is there a way to use the keyboard and trackpad in tablet mode?
Can I turn off the sensor that triggers tablet mode?
Would switching to Windows 10 solve this issue?
Is there any solution to this problem, and if not, why not?

Thanks for your help, and sorry for the frustration

I totally get your frustration trying to use your Lenovo Flex 5-1470 with Windows 11 in tablet mode. Here’s some helpful advice to address each of your questions:

Disabling Tablet Mode Permanently

Unfortunately, there’s no straightforward way to disable tablet mode permanently on Windows 11. Tablet mode is a built-in feature designed to enhance the touch-friendly experience, and Windows doesn’t provide an option to completely turn it off.

Using Keyboard and Trackpad in Tablet Mode

To use your keyboard and trackpad in tablet mode, you’ll need to manually enable them each time you switch to tablet mode. Here’s how:

1. Action Center Access: Press the Windows key + A to open the Action Center.
  2. Toggle Tablet Mode: Click on the Tablet Mode quick action tile to disable tablet mode.
  3. Use Keyboard and Trackpad: Once tablet mode is off, your keyboard and trackpad will be enabled again.

Disable the Sensor That Triggers Tablet Mode

Unfortunately, you can’t directly turn off the sensor that triggers tablet mode, as it’s an integrated feature of Windows 11 designed to detect when your convertible laptop is in tablet position.

Switching to Windows 10

While upgrading to an earlier Windows version like Windows 10 might seem like an option, it’s not recommended. Windows 10 does have a similar issue where the keyboard and trackpad are disabled in tablet mode, but at least you can manipulate settings manually. However, downgrading from Windows 11 might not be the best choice due to significant differences in the operating system and potential compatibility issues with newer software.

Solutions for Your Problem

Here are some possible solutions to help you with your setup:

• Use Tablet Mode with External Monitor: Since you want to use your Lenovo Flex 5-1470 with an external monitor, try this workaround:

1. Connect your external monitor.
    2. Fold your laptop into tablet mode.
    3. Press the Windows key + A and disable tablet mode.
    4. Now, you can use your external monitor with your keyboard and trackpad enabled. This might not be ideal, but it will allow you to use your laptop and monitor simultaneously.
  • Alternative Options: If you don’t need the touch functionality of tablet mode, you can consider alternatives like using your laptop in a more traditional configuration or investing in an external keyboard and mouse setup.

I hope these suggestions help you find a way to work around these limitations and successfully use your Lenovo Flex 5-1470 with an external monitor while keeping your keyboard and trackpad functional.