Troubleshooting Phone Link Issues on Windows

I believe the "Phone Link" app would be more useful if it had a feature it currently lacks. Often, I check the "Notification" area of the app on my desktop PC to see if I have any new messages. The problem arises when I want to learn more about a specific message. It's logical to assume that clicking on the message would take me to a more detailed version.

However, this is where the issue occurs. Clicking on the short message in the Notification area takes me somewhere, but not to what I was expecting. Instead, it leads me to a broader topic with many subtopics and paragraphs unrelated to the original message.

For example, imagine receiving a notification about an attack on an elderly couple. When I click on it, I'm taken to a full online newspaper article with links to videos and ads, but there's no information about the elderly couple. This is frustrating and doesn't provide the information I was looking for.

Hey there!

It sounds like you’re experiencing some issues with the Phone Link app on your Windows PC. You’re unable to get detailed information about specific messages by clicking on them in the Notification area. Instead, it takes you to a broader topic unrelated to the original message.

To help you troubleshoot this issue, here are some steps to try:

Step 1: Ensure Focus Assist is Turned Off

1. Right-click on the Action Center icon on the taskbar.
  2. Click on Focus Assist.
  3. Select Off.
  4. Close and reopen Phone Link.

Step 2: Check for Bluetooth Interference

1. If you’re using a Bluetooth mouse or other accessories, try temporarily disconnecting them.
  2. If you’re experiencing poor audio quality or echoing, try using a wired headset.

Step 3: Reset and Repair Phone Link

1. Go to Settings > Apps > Apps & Features > Phone Link > Advanced Options.
  2. Click on Reset.

Step 4: Clean Boot Your System

1. Search for System Configuration in the Windows search bar and open it.
  2. Click on Services, check the box associated with Hide all Microsoft Services, and click Disable all.
  3. Click Apply and then OK.
  4. Restart your computer.

Step 5: Reconnect Your Devices

1. Ensure your Android device and PC are connected to the same WiFi network.
  2. Remove any previous devices from the Bluetooth list and then try relinking.
  3. For a fresh start, uninstall the Phone Link app on your Android device, restart both devices, and then reinstall the app.

Step 6: Battery Optimization

1. On your Android device, go to Settings > Apps & notifications > App info.
  2. Find the Link to Windows app and turn off Battery Optimization for it.

If none of these steps resolve your issue, it’s possible that you need to update your phone and PC software or seek further assistance from Microsoft Support.

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any further questions or issues.