Troubleshooting Multiple Monitor Problems on Windows 11

Hello,

I'm using a Surface Pro 7+ with Windows 11 Professional (x64) Version 23H2 (build 22631.3810) and two external HDMI displays connected via a USB hub.

Recently, the system has started to randomly turn off one of the external displays at a time, but not both at the same time. The built-in Surface Pro display is never affected. This issue only occurs with the external displays.

To troubleshoot, I've tried disconnecting one external display at a time, and the problem goes away. I've also swapped the HDMI connections at the USB hub, but that doesn't make a difference. This suggests the issue isn't with the USB hub.

I'm certain this is a Windows issue, not a display power problem. The only way to reactivate the blacked-out display is to open the Windows Display settings by typing Windows-d-i-s-Enter. I don't need to make any changes; just opening the settings brings the display back on.

Is there a solution to this problem that doesn't involve creating a new user profile and rebuilding my work environment?

Thank you,

Hey,

I see you’re dealing with an issue on your Surface Pro 7+ with Windows 11 where one of the external displays connected via a USB hub keeps turning off randomly. Here are a few steps to help troubleshoot and potentially resolve the problem:

1. Driver Updates:
    Make sure your graphics drivers are up-to-date. For Surface Pro, you can check the driver updates on the Microsoft website for specific models. Ensure you check for updates in the Device Manager under Display Adapters and also through the Intel Driver Update Utility if your system uses Intel graphics.

2. Display Settings:
    As you’ve already found out that opening the Display settings reinstates the display, try keeping the Display settings open or at least enable the option to keep all displays active. You can do this by right-clicking on an empty area of the desktop, selecting Display settings, and ensuring the multiple displays section is expanded and set to extend these displays.

3. Power Management:
    It’s possible that Windows is turning off the display due to power-saving settings. Press the Windows key + X and select Device Manager. Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers, right-click on USB Root Hub, and select Properties. In the Properties window, uncheck the box for “Selective suspend” under the Power Management tab to prevent power management from turning off the USB ports.

4. Enable All Drivers on Startup:
    Press the Windows key + R, type msconfig, and hit enter. Under the General tab, select Normal Startup and apply. This ensures all drivers are loaded at startup.

5. Hardware Troubleshooter:
    Press the Windows key + R, type msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic, and hit enter. This will run the Hardware Troubleshooter, which might detect and fix display-related issues.

6. Display Driver Rollback:
    If none of the above steps work, try rolling back or uninstalling the Display driver. You can do this by going into Device Manager, selecting the Display Adapters, right-clicking on the driver, and selecting Update Driver. Then, choose Browse and let you pick from a list of available drivers. Roll back to a previous version or uninstall and reinstall the driver.

7. Disable and Re-enable the Graphics Driver:
    Another option is to disable and then re-enable the graphics driver. You can do this by going into the Device Manager, selecting Display Adapters, right-clicking on the driver, and selecting Disable. Wait for a few seconds and then Enable it again.

These steps should help resolve the issue with your external displays turning off. Let me know if you need any further assistance.