Transferring Files to a New PC: A Guide to Windows File History

I'm having trouble restoring files from a backup drive using Windows File History. When I try to restore personal files, I can only access the original backup from 2020, despite having used File History recently in 2024. I get an error message saying the selected location doesn't have the most recent files. However, when I browse the File History folder on the backup drive, I can find recent files from my last backup. The folder is large, but it only contains file versions with date and time stamps, not the current versions from my last backup. How can I access all my files?

Hey there Sorry to hear you’re having trouble restoring your files from the backup drive using Windows File History.

First, let’s clarify a few things. Windows File History stores multiple versions of your files, not just the latest ones. This means that when you browse the File History folder on your backup drive, you’ll see multiple versions of each file with different date and time stamps. This is a great feature, but it can also be confusing.

Now, let’s troubleshoot the issue you’re facing. Here are a few possible reasons why you can only access the original backup from 2020:

1. File History settings: Check your File History settings to ensure that it’s set up to back up your files regularly. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More options. Make sure the switch is turned On and the backup frequency is set to your liking.

2. Backup drive configuration: Ensure that your backup drive is properly configured and recognized by Windows. Connect the drive, then go to File Explorer, right-click on the drive, and select Properties. Check that the drive is set as the default backup location.

3. File History cache: Windows File History uses a cache to store information about your backups. Sometimes, this cache can get corrupted, causing issues like the one you’re experiencing. Try deleting the File History cache by going to %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory and deleting the Configuration folder. Then, restart your PC and try restoring your files again.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, here’s a workaround to access your recent files:

1. Connect your backup drive to your new PC.
  2. Open File Explorer and navigate to the File History folder on the backup drive.
  3. Look for the most recent folder with a date and time stamp that corresponds to your last backup.
  4. Copy the contents of that folder to a new location on your new PC, such as the desktop or documents folder.

This should give you access to your recent files. However, keep in mind that you might not be able to use Windows File History to restore individual files or previous versions.

If you’re still having trouble, feel free to provide more details, and I’ll do my best to help you out