Transfer Files from Windows 10 to Windows 11

After transferring files from an old computer to a new one using a flash drive, all the files now display "error" with a red circle and a white "x" icon. How can I remove this error indicator and make the files functional again?

Hey there Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered.

It sounds like the files you transferred from your old Windows 10 computer to your new Windows 11 computer using a flash drive are now showing an error indicator with a red circle and a white “x” icon. This is usually because of a permissions issue or a conflict with the new system.

Here’s what you can try to remove the error indicator and make the files functional again:

Method 1: Take Ownership of the Files

1. Right-click on the file or folder that’s showing the error indicator.
  2. Select Properties.
  3. In the Properties window, click on the Security tab.
  4. Click on the Edit button.
  5. Click on Add.
  6. Type “Everyone” in the Enter the object names to select field.
  7. Click on Check Names and then OK.
  8. Make sure the “Read” and “Write” permissions are checked for the “Everyone” group.
  9. Click OK to close the Properties window.

Method 2: Run the File/Folder as Administrator

1. Right-click on the file or folder that’s showing the error indicator.
  2. Select “Run as administrator”.
  3. If prompted, click Yes to allow the file/folder to run with administrative privileges.

Method 3: Check for File System Errors

1. Open File Explorer and navigate to the folder that contains the files with the error indicator.
  2. Right-click on the folder and select Properties.
  3. In the Properties window, click on the Tools tab.
  4. Click on the Check button under Error checking.
  5. Follow the prompts to scan and fix any file system errors.

If none of these methods work, you can try resetting the file permissions to their default settings or seeking further assistance from Microsoft Support.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if there’s anything else I can help you with