Stuck on Choose Operating System Screen at Boot-Up - Help

Hello,

I'm having an issue with my Windows 10 system where I keep seeing the "Choose Operating System" screen when I start up. Despite updating to Windows 10 version 22H2, the problem still exists.

When I go to the Boot tab in msconfig, I see two entries for "Windows 10." I have a few concerns and questions:

1. What's causing this?: Why are there two Windows 10 entries in the Boot tab? Is this a sign of a deeper installation issue?

2. Which one is correct?: How can I figure out which entry is the extra one that I can safely remove?

3. How to fix it?: What's the best way to remove the unnecessary entry and stop the "Choose Operating System" screen from appearing at startup? I want to make sure I don't cause any more problems.

I've attached a link to the Boot tab for your reference.

Thank you for your help in resolving this issue. I appreciate your guidance.

Hey there, I’m happy to help you out with this issue.

First, let’s tackle the cause of the problem. Having two entries for Windows 10 in the Boot tab usually means you have a duplicate boot loader entry. This can happen due to various reasons such as a previous Windows installation, a failed update, or even a malware infection. Don’t worry, it’s not necessarily a sign of a deeper installation issue, but it’s still worth investigating.

Now, to identify which entry is the extra one, follow these steps:

1. Open the Command Prompt as an administrator. You can do this by right-clicking on the Start button and selecting Command Prompt (Admin).
  2. Type the command bcdedit and press Enter. This will display the Boot Configuration Data store.
  3. Look for the identifier parameter in the output. You should see two entries with different identifiers, such as {current} and { scrambling-letters-and-numbers }.
  4. Note down the identifier of the entry that doesn’t have the {current} label. This is likely the extra entry.

To remove the unnecessary entry and stop the “Choose Operating System” screen from appearing at startup, follow these steps:

1. Open the System Configuration tool (msconfig) again.
  2. Go to the Boot tab and select the extra Windows 10 entry you identified earlier.
  3. Click the Delete button to remove the entry.
  4. Click Apply and then OK to save the changes.
  5. Restart your system to apply the changes.

After removing the extra entry, you should no longer see the “Choose Operating System” screen at startup. If you’re still experiencing issues or have concerns, feel free to ask, and I’ll do my best to help you out.

Also, take this opportunity to review your system for any other potential issues. Run a full scan with your antivirus software and consider running the built-in Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) to ensure your system is clean.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any further questions