Streaming Defaults to Local Connection - Help!

My Windows 11 system keeps losing connection to my other PCs on the network every few months. Currently, I'm trying to enable Media Streaming on all networks, but it reverts back to local mode immediately.

I've tried various solutions, including tweaking services.msc, but the issue persists.

To avoid editing the registry, which makes me uneasy, I'm considering a clean install of Windows 11, as it might be the quickest fix for this glitch.

However, I find myself doing this every 18 months or so to resolve these recurring bugs and errors. Is anyone else experiencing similar issues with Windows 11?

Hey there I feel your pain. It’s frustrating when Windows decides to play nice only for a little while before reverting back to its old ways.

First, let’s try to troubleshoot this without resorting to a clean install. I’m with you on avoiding registry edits - they can be a recipe for disaster if not done correctly.

Here’s a step-by-step approach to help you resolve the Media Streaming issue:

1. Disable and re-enable the Media Streaming feature: Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Ethernet (or Wi-Fi, depending on your connection type). Click on “Change adapter options” and right-click on your network adapter. Select “Disable” and then wait for 10-15 seconds. Enable it again and see if Media Streaming stays on.

2. Check the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service: Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog, type “services.msc,” and press Enter. In the Services window, find the “Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service” and restart it. If it’s not running, start it.

3. Update your network drivers: Outdated drivers can cause connectivity issues. Go to the Device Manager (Press the Windows key + X and select Device Manager), expand the “Network Adapters” section, right-click on your adapter, and select “Update driver.” Follow the prompts to search for and install any available updates.

4. Verify your network settings: Ensure that your network is set to private and not public. Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Ethernet (or Wi-Fi), click on “Properties,” and make sure the “Network profile” is set to “Private.”

If none of these steps resolve the issue, you can try resetting the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service to its default settings. To do this:

1. Reset the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service: Open the Command Prompt as an administrator (right-click on the Start button and select “Command Prompt (Admin)”). Type the following command and press Enter: netsh wmpnetsh reset

If you’ve tried all these steps and the issue still persists, a clean install might be your best bet. However, I’d recommend exploring other troubleshooting avenues before taking that route. Have you checked for any pending Windows updates or firmware updates for your network adapter?

Lastly, I’m curious - are you experiencing any other issues with your Windows 11 installation, or is it just this Media Streaming problem?