Stolen Phone, Cant Change Password Due to Outdated Authenticator Code

I'm in a desperate situation. My phone was stolen, and the thief now has access to my Outlook account. The problem is, I can't change my password or log out devices because my two-factor authentication is tied to an old phone number. The system says I have to wait 30 days to update the authentication number, which means the thief will have access to my account for a whole month. I've already seen them send a confirmation email after making unauthorized purchases using my Apple Pay (I've notified the banks and cancelled all cards).

I'm at a loss for what to do next.

Hey there, sounds like you’re in a pretty tough spot. First off, stay calm and let’s see what we can do to minimize the damage.

Step 1: Report the Account Compromise

• Go to the Microsoft Support website and report that your account has been compromised. They have a dedicated team to handle these situations, and they might be able to speed up the process of securing your account. You can find the form here.

Step 2: Reach Out to Microsoft Support Directly

• Get on the phone with Microsoft support. They might be able to bypass the 30-day wait for updating your two-factor authentication number. Be prepared to provide as much information as possible about your situation, including the unauthorized purchases and the fact that your phone was stolen. You can reach them at 1-800-MICROSOFT (642-7676) in the US.

Step 3: Change Your Password (Even if It Doesn’t Stick)

• Try changing your Outlook password from a different device. Even if the two-factor authentication doesn’t work, it’s worth a shot. If you’re able to change the password, it might limit the thief’s access to your account.

Step 4: Monitor Your Accounts Closely

• Keep a close eye on all your accounts, especially those linked to Apple Pay. You’ve already notified the banks and canceled your cards, which is great. Keep monitoring for any suspicious activity and report it immediately.

Step 5: Consider a Temporary Lockdown

• If you’re unable to change your password or update the two-factor authentication, you might want to consider temporarily locking down your account. This will prevent anyone, including you, from accessing it until the situation is resolved. You can do this by contacting Microsoft support and requesting a temporary lock.

Remember, stay patient and persistent. It might take some time and effort, but with the right steps, you can minimize the damage and secure your account.