Share Outlook Calendar Dates with SharePoint Event List

A major challenge with using SharePoint as an employee intranet is displaying dates or events that departments want to share with the entire organization without duplicating entries on the SharePoint site.

I'm seeking a solution that synchronizes dates entered on an Outlook shared calendar with a SharePoint site event list, including title, start time, and end time. When updates are made to the event on the shared calendar, the corresponding event list should also update.

I've researched the following options, but they don't work for my situation:

• Using a Teams calendar is difficult to manage for all organization staff.

• Entering dates directly on a SharePoint event list doesn't allow visibility or connection in Outlook web/desktop for both Windows and Mac users.

It seems like Power Automate might be able to achieve this. If anyone has suggestions or directions, I'd appreciate it. I'm also open to exploring alternative Outlook calendar types that could accomplish this. Thanks!

Exporting dates from a shared Outlook calendar to a SharePoint event list can be achieved using Microsoft Power Automate. Here’s how:

First, ensure that your Outlook account can connect to Power Automate for Flow. If you have any issues, first try creating a flow with a different trigger and then come back to the Outlook trigger.

Create a SharePoint List for the Event Data

1. Create a new list on your SharePoint site.
  2. Add the necessary columns for title, start time, and end time.

Create a Power Automate Flow

1. Go to Power Automate and create a new flow.
  2. Connect your Outlook account as the trigger.
    • When a new event is created and When an event is updated should both be selected.
  3. Add an Action to Add a new item to your SharePoint list.
    • Map the Outlook event title, start time, and end time to the corresponding SharePoint list columns.

Automated Flow

Now, whenever an event is created or updated in the shared Outlook calendar, it will automatically be added or updated in the SharePoint event list.

Avoid Duplicate Entries

To ensure duplicate entries are not created, you can also add a Condition before adding the new item in SharePoint. Check if the event ID already exists in the list before adding the item.

Troubleshooting Tips

• Ensure the scope of the Outlook and SharePoint connections correctly align with the Office 365 user or group.
  • If you have a large existing calendar, consider using Batch updates and Iterative processes to handle the initial data transfer.

Conclusion

This flow should now effectively synchronize the dates entered on the shared Outlook calendar with the SharePoint site event list, including title, start time, and end time.