Right-side laptop ports stopped working after Windows 11 update

My laptop automatically restarted to install an update while I was away, and afterwards, all the ports on the right side stopped working, including the only USB-C port. I didn’t realize this until the battery was running low, and despite trying some suggested solutions for similar issues, the battery level dropped to 3%. Now, I’m unsure of what to do next.

Sorry to hear that

First, let’s get your laptop charged up ASAP. Since the right-side ports aren’t working, try using a USB-C charger on the left side (if your laptop has one) or a power bank to top up the battery a bit. This will give you some breathing room to troubleshoot the issue.

Now, let’s dive into troubleshooting:

1. Restart in Safe Mode: Press the Windows key + I to open Settings, then click on Update & Security > Recovery > Advanced startup options. Click on Restart now, and your laptop will boot into Safe Mode. If the right-side ports work in Safe Mode, it could indicate a software issue.
  2. Disable and re-enable the USB controllers: In Device Manager (Press the Windows key + X and select Device Manager), expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Right-click each USB controller and select Disable device. Wait for 10 seconds, then enable them again.
  3. Update or reinstall USB drivers: In Device Manager, expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers again. Right-click each USB controller and select Update driver. Follow the prompts to search for updates. If updates aren’t available, try uninstalling the drivers and restarting your laptop to let Windows reinstall them.
  4. Check for loose connections: Inspect the right-side ports for any signs of physical damage or loose connections. Make sure all cables are securely plugged in.
  5. System Restore: If you’ve made recent system changes or installed new software, try using System Restore to revert to a previous point when the ports were working. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Open System Restore.
  6. Reset Windows Update components: Sometimes, a Windows Update issue can cause problems like this. Try resetting the Windows Update components using the following command in Command Prompt (run as administrator): net stop wuauserv then net stop cryptSvc then net stop bits then ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old then ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old then net start wuauserv then net start cryptSvc then net start bits

If none of these steps resolve the issue, you might want to consider seeking assistance from the laptop manufacturer’s support or visiting a authorized service center for further diagnosis.

Keep me updated on your progress