Right-Click Send To Menu Not Linking to Outlook, How to Fix?

When I right-click and select "Send to" and then "Mail recipient", it doesn't do anything. How can I set it up to open Outlook instead?

Hey there,

I’m happy to help you figure out why your right-click “Send to” menu isn’t linking to Outlook correctly on your Windows 11.

First things first, let’s check if Outlook is set as your default email client. Here’s how to do it:

1. Check Default Email App:
    • Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog.
    • Type “ms-settings:defaultapps” and press Enter. This will open the Default Apps settings page.
    • Ensure that Outlook is selected as the default email client. If it’s not, click on the “Choose an app” or “Make default” button next to it.

Next, we need to ensure the association for the “.mapimail” file type is set correctly. Sometimes, this association gets lost, which causes the “Send to” menu to malfunction.

1. Set Associations:
    • Go back to the Default Apps settings page.
    • Click on “Choose default apps by file type” from the left menu.
    • Scroll down and find the “.mapimail” file type.
    • If Outlook isn’t listed as the default app, click on it and choose Outlook from the list of applications.

If the above steps don’t work, there might be an issue with the context menu. Here are some additional steps:

1. Reset Context Menu:
    • Open the Registry Editor by typing “regedit” in the Run dialog.
    • Navigate to \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Associations.
    • Find the “String” key named “Extended”. Right-click on it and select “Delete”. This will reset the extended context menu items.

After trying these steps, restart your system and try using the “Send to” > “Mail recipient” option again. It should now open Outlook correctly with the selected file attached.

If you still face issues, it might be due to some recently installed software or updates causing conflicts with your Outlook settings. Try reinstalling or reinstalling Outlook to see if that resolves the problem.

Let me know if you need more assistance.