Replace Hard Drive with Data and Program Files Only

I have a hard drive that stores both my files (like documents and OneDrive data) and installed programs. My Windows 11 operating system is installed on a separate solid-state drive (SSD).

The hard drive is failing, and I need to transfer its contents to a new one without losing any data or having to reinstall my programs. Can anyone guide me on how to do this and then swap the hard drives successfully?

Moving Program Files and Data to a New Hard Drive in Windows 11

Hey there Google User!

Sounds like your hard drive is on the fritz, and you need to transfer all your files and installed programs to a shiny new drive without losing anything or having to reinstall those pesky programs.

Here’s your step-by-step guide to a smooth transition:

Step 1: Prepare the New Hard Drive

Step 2: Move Your Programs

Step 3: Transfer Your Files

Step 4: Update Your Registry

Step 5: Replace the Hard Drive

Step 1: Prepare the New Hard Drive

1. Install the new hard drive in your system.

2. Create the necessary folders: For documents, pictures, and other files, you can simply drag and drop or copy and paste them to the new drive. For grant some freedom from old Program Files folder.

3. Install necessary tools: Download software like EaseUS Todo PCTrans or Application Mover to help transfer programs.

Step 2: Move Your Programs

1. Use EaseUS Todo PCTrans: Launch the software, select “App Migration,” and follow the steps as detailed on the software’s website. This tool makes it really easy, and you can choose which programs to move.

2. Use Windows Settings: Open the Windows Settings screen, go to Applications & Features, select the apps you want to transfer, and choose the new drive as their location. This method works only for some apps.

Step 3: Transfer Your Files

1. Move general files: Drag and drop or copy and paste files to the new drive from your old drive. This includes things like documents, pictures, and downloads.

2. Move program data: Some programs, especially those with a lot of data, may need you to update their settings to point to the new drive. You can do this by opening each program and changing the default directory.

Step 4: Update Your Registry

Step 5: Replace the Hard Drive

1. Replace the hard drive: Once all your files and programs are transferred, physically swap the old hard drive with the new one. Make sure all cables are securely connected.

That’s it You should now have all your programs and files safely moved and your new hard drive ready to go. If you run into any issues or notice any errors, feel free to ask, and we can troubleshoot together.