Remaining work not displaying negative values - why?

Previously, when a resource had 2.94 hours of available work per day, but was allocated 4.95 hours of tasks, the remaining work would show a negative value of -2.00h in red. This was the case just last week.

Now, instead of showing the actual negative value, the remaining work simply displays 0h in red.

Why has the remaining work stopped showing the actual negative value? Is this due to a system update? Can I change a setting to revert back to showing the actual negative figure, perhaps in Project Online?

This issue has affected all projects, and I noticed the change from last Friday to today.

Rem Avail 0h Previously, Remaining Available showed -2.00h. How can I change this back?
Work Avail 2.94
Work 4.94

Hey there,

It seems like there was a recent change that’s affecting your ‘Remaining Work’ field in your Microsoft Project Online.

I’m guessing you didn’t make any changes to the settings, so the issue might be due to a system update.

Here are a few possible solutions you can try:

1. Check the project settings:

• Go to your project settings in Project Online.
    • Navigate to Schedule.
    • Under Calculate, ensure that Remaining Work is set to calculate automatically.
    • Save your changes.
  2. Review your resource allocation:

• Double-check that the resource’s work availability and assigned tasks are correctly set up.
    • Ensure that the resource’s capacity is correctly allocated across tasks.
  3. Customize the Remaining Work column:

• In your task sheet, right-click on the Remaining Work column header.
    • Select Field Settings.
    • Ensure Use Formula is not enabled. If it is, disable it.
    • Also, ensure Decimal How you want display is set to the desired precision (e.g., hours or days).
  4. Check for any recent updates or patches:

• Review the update history in your Project Online or Microsoft 365 to see if any recent changes might have caused this issue.

If none of these steps solve your issue, you might want to reach out to Microsoft Support or your Project Online administrator for further assistance.