Reinstalling OS on a wiped SSD: A step-by-step guide

I made a mistake in the BIOS settings and wiped my SSD. Now, when I try to boot from a Windows 10 USB drive, the screen turns a light blue color with no text.

Oh no, wiping your SSD can be a real bummer Don’t worry, I’m here to help you reinstall Windows 10 from scratch. Since you’re getting a light blue screen with no text when trying to boot from a Windows 10 USB drive, I’m assuming the USB drive is correct and the issue lies with the SSD. Here’s a step-by-step guide to get you back up and running:

Preparation

Before we begin, make sure you have the following:

1. A Windows 10 USB drive (you already have this)
  2. A valid Windows 10 product key (you should have received this when you purchased Windows)
  3. A working internet connection

Step 1: Prepare the SSD

Since you’ve already wiped the SSD, we’ll start from scratch. Connect the SSD to your system and enter the BIOS settings (the key to enter BIOS varies by motherboard, but it’s usually F2, F12, or Del). Set the SSD as the first boot device. Save the changes and exit the BIOS settings.

Step 2: Boot from the USB drive

Insert the Windows 10 USB drive and restart your system. As your system boots, press the key to enter the boot menu (usually F12 or F2). Select the USB drive as the boot device.

Step 3: Start the Windows 10 installation

You should now see the Windows 10 installation screen. Select your language and other preferences, then click Next.

Step 4: Delete the partitions

On the Which type of installation do you want? screen, select Custom: Install Windows only (advanced). You’ll see a list of partitions on your SSD. Delete all the partitions by selecting each one and clicking Delete. This will remove any remaining data from the SSD.

Step 5: Create a new partition

Once all partitions are deleted, click New to create a new partition. Allocate the maximum available space to the partition (you can always create additional partitions later).

Step 6: Install Windows 10

Click Next to start the Windows 10 installation. Follow the prompts to complete the installation. This may take some time, so be patient.

Step 7: Activate Windows 10

Once the installation is complete, you’ll be prompted to activate Windows 10. Enter your valid product key and follow the activation process.

That’s it You should now have a fresh installation of Windows 10 on your SSD. If you encounter any issues during the installation process, feel free to ask, and I’ll do my best to help you troubleshoot.