Random BSODs While Gaming: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION

Hello,

I'm experiencing a problem with my laptop where it randomly crashes with a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) only when playing videogames. This issue doesn't occur with other resource-intensive applications like video editors or game engine editors. Upon checking the Event Viewer, I noticed that the volmgr error appears frequently, and recently, I've also encountered the error "The IO operation at logical block address 0x1de8ba00 for Disk 0 (PDO name: \Device\0000004c) failed due to a hardware error." I'm unsure why this is happening. Here are my laptop's specs:

Processor: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12500H

Disk: GIGABYTE AG4512G-SI B10

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU and Intel Iris Xe Graphics

RAM: 16 GB, unknown model

If needed, I can provide the BSOD log file for further assistance.

Hey, I know how frustrating these random BSODs can be, especially when gaming. I’ve read your post and analyzed the symptoms you described. Here’s what I think might be causing the issue and what you can do to solve it:

Hardware and Software Checks

1. Overheating CPU: High temperatures can cause these kinds of issues. Ensure your CPU is not running too hot. Check Task Manager for power usage and CPU temperatures. If it’s too high, you may need to adjust your laptop’s cooling settings or ensure proper airflow.
  2. GPU Driver Issues: Outdated or faulty GPU drivers can lead to these BSODs. Update your NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU drivers to the latest version. This has been known to fix issues for others with identical symptoms.
  3. RAM Issues: Faulty or incompatible RAM can also cause these errors. Try running a RAM stress test to rule out memory problems.
  4. Check Event Viewer: As you mentioned, the volmgr error appears frequently. Check the Event Viewer for any other errors or warnings that might be related to the BSOD.

Troubleshooting Steps

1. Run an SFC and DISM Scan: Run an SFC scan to check for system file corruption. Follow up with a DISM scan to fix any Windows system errors.
  2. Check for BIOS Updates: Ensure your BIOS is up to date. Sometimes, firmware updates can resolve these issues.
  3. Uninstall Recent Updates: Uninstall any recent updates that you think might be causing the issue.
  4. Run a Malware Scan: Run a comprehensive scan for malware to ensure your system is clean.
  5. Minidump Analysis: Provide the BSOD log files for further analysis. Sometimes, these logs can help identify specific driver or hardware issues.

Other Possibilities

• SSD Related Issues: Your SSD could potentially be causing problems. Run a disk health check to ensure it’s functioning correctly.
  • PSU Issues: Although less likely, check your PSU for any issues. Ensure it can handle the system’s power requirements.

I hope these suggestions help you identify and solve the problem. If you’re still stuck, please provide more details, such as the full BSOD messages or any other errors you’ve encountered.