Program disappears from my computer

I’m having trouble updating a mod for a game I’ve had modded for a while. I downloaded the updated mod’s .zip file, extracted the files, and transferred them to the game’s folder. However, when I try to launch the game, it crashes and deletes the application. When I try to reinstall and transfer the files again, I get an error saying I need administrator permission to copy the application file. The mod comes from a trusted source and is very popular, with over 4 million downloads, and my friends who’ve downloaded it haven’t had any issues. I’m using Windows 11 on my personal PC, and my account is the only user account, which is also an administrator account.

Here’s what I’ve tried so far to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Made sure I’m up to date on all Windows updates
  2. Restarted my PC
  3. Uninstalled and reinstalled both the game and the mod
  4. Ensured my user account has ownership of the file
  5. Turned off UAC

Please help

Hey there, sorry to hear you’re having trouble with that mod. I’ve got a few potential solutions for you to try.

First, let’s tackle the permission issue. Even though you’re the admin, Windows 11 can be finicky sometimes. Here’s what you can do:

1. Right-click on the game’s folder and select Properties.
  2. In the Security tab, click on the Edit button.
  3. Make sure your user account is listed and has full control. If it’s not, add it and give it full control.
  4. Click Apply and then OK.

Now, let’s try to troubleshoot the crashing and deletion issue. Since you’ve already tried reinstalling the game and mod, here’s something else you can do:

1. Open the Event Viewer (you can search for it in the Start menu).
  2. In the Event Viewer, navigate to Windows Logs > Application.
  3. Look for error events around the time the game crashed. You can filter the events by date and time to find the relevant ones.
  4. Check the event details for any error codes or messages that might give us a clue about what’s going on.

Another thing you can try is running the game in compatibility mode. Sometimes, Windows 11 can be a bit too aggressive with its security features, and this can help bypass them:

1. Right-click on the game’s executable file and select Properties.
  2. In the Compatibility tab, check the box that says “Run this program in compatibility mode for”.
  3. Select a previous version of Windows (like Windows 10 or 8) from the dropdown menu.
  4. Click Apply and then OK.

If none of these solutions work, you might want to try installing the mod on a different folder or drive to see if it’s a permissions issue specific to the game’s folder. You could also try reaching out to the mod creator or the game’s community forums to see if anyone else has encountered similar issues.

Let me know if any of these solutions work for you