Preventing International Access to My Windows Account

Lately, I've been receiving numerous emails containing single-use codes. Upon reviewing my login history, I noticed multiple attempts from Russia, China, and Germany.

Is it possible to block these attempts? I'm worried that if I receive multiple codes and then try to log in, I might accidentally enter the wrong one.

While I appreciate the added security, it's resulting in spam emails. I'd prefer not to have 4-5 code emails cluttering my inbox.

Can I block logins from specific countries and set a notification for when I plan to travel to those countries (which I do occasionally)?

Thanks.

Hey, I totally understand your concern. It’s pretty annoying to get all those code emails and worry about accidentally entering the wrong one.

First of all, it’s great you’re keeping an eye on your login history and taking the extra security steps. Now, regarding your query: you can’t completely block logins from specific countries, but I can guide you through how to minimize those attempts and improve your account security. Here’s what you can do:

Update Your Security Contact Info

1. Add a trusted phone number or email:
    • Go to the Security basics page and sign in.
    • Select Advanced security options > Get started.
    • Add your phone number or an alternate email address as a security contact method.
    • Follow the verification process. This way, if there’s an unusual sign-in attempt from an unknown location, you’ll receive a security code on your trusted device or email.

Manage Your Trusted Devices

1. Identify and remove unused trusted devices:
    • Go to the Security settings page and sign in.
    • Check your trusted devices list.
    • Remove any devices you no longer use or recognize.

Enhance Your Travel Notifications

1. Notify Microsoft before traveling:
    • Update your travel plans on the Security basics page to avoid unexpected security notifications.
    • Download the Microsoft Authenticator app. This app can receive security codes even without internet connection, and it won’t drain your battery.

Block Suspicious Activities

1. Review your login history regularly:
    • Check the Recent activity page for suspicious sign-ins.
    • If you see any unusual activity, select This wasn’t me and follow the prompts to secure your account.

Secure Your Account Further

1. Use strong passwords:

• For your Microsoft account, set a strong password that you can remember.
    • Avoid sharing it with anyone.
  2. Use two-factor authentication (2FA):

• Enable 2FA for added security. This way, even if someone has your password, they won’t be able to sign in without the 2FA code.

By following these steps, you’ll significantly reduce the number of incorrect login attempts and improve your account’s overall security.