Presentation Clicker Stops Working with PowerPoint

I've lost the ability to use a USB-connected remote or a Wi-Fi-connected controller app from my tablet to control my PC.

Although both methods still establish a connection to the PC, the advanced buttons no longer function.

This issue suddenly appeared during a presentation, and I'm struggling to find a solution.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm running Windows 11 Pro with an Office 365 subscription.

Sorry to hear that your presentation clicker stopped working during a presentation – that can be super frustrating!

Let’s try to troubleshoot and get you back to presenting smoothly. Here are a few steps to help you resolve the issue:

Connection Issue Diagnostic

1. Basic Checks: Ensure that the USB connector or Wi-Fi signal is stable. Try plugging the USB remote into a different port or restarting your tablet if you’re using a Wi-Fi controller app.
  2. Driver Updates: Windows might need some driver love. Press the Windows key + X, select Device Manager, expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section (or the section related to your Wi-Fi controller), and look for any devices with an exclamation mark. Right-click those devices and select Update driver.
  3. Presentation Settings: In PowerPoint, go to Slide Show > Set Up Slide Show. Make sure that the Show options are set to “Browsed by an individual (window)” and not “Presented by a speaker (full screen)”.

Optional Workarounds

1. Use the PowerPoint Mobile App: If you have a smartphone, consider using the PowerPoint Mobile app. It allows you to control your presentation from your phone. This might be a quick fix until you resolve the issues with your remote or tablet app.
  2. Old-School Methods: As a temporary measure, you can always use your PC’s keyboard to navigate presentations using arrow keys or the Space bar.

Additional Troubleshooting

If the above steps don’t help, there might be some software conflicts or specific app issues:

• Disable Any Intervening Apps: If you’re using a Wi-Fi controller app, try closing any other apps that might be intercepting keyboard or mouse input.
  • Reset PowerPoint Add-Ins: Sometimes, add-ins can cause issues. Go to File > Options > Add-Ins. Go through the list and disable any add-ins you find suspicious.

These should help you identify and fix the problem. If you’ve tried all these steps and still encounter issues, let me know and we can dive deeper into the problem.