PC Crashes on Low Resource Usage, but Runs Smoothly with High Resource Demands

My PC keeps crashing when I’m not running resource-intensive programs like games that use a lot of RAM, CPU, and GPU. For instance, playing games like Fortnite doesn’t cause crashes because they utilize system resources heavily. However, when I’m just watching YouTube or running small games like Among Us in the background, the PC crashes. I’ve already tried resetting my PC multiple times.

Here’s a screenshot of a crash that occurred, which happens every 3-30 minutes, sometimes more frequently, sometimes less.

According to the Event Viewer, the crash is marked as an error with the description: “The description for Event ID 153 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.”

The error details include:
\Device\Video8
BusReset TDR occurred on GPUID:100
The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table
Source is: nvlddmkm ; Event ID: 153 ; Level: Error ; User: N/A

Additionally, the Event Viewer logs multiple errors per second, including:
“Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)
Primary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x1:0x0
Secondary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4C01&SUBSYS_D0191E39&REV_01
Secondary Device Name:
Source WHEA-Logger with Event-ID 17 as a Warning”

I’m currently running Windows 11, but this issue also occurred on Windows 10. My PC specs are: Medion Erazer x10 with a 3070, 11th gen i7 11700 2.5 GHz, 32 GB RAM, all stock, with no modifications.

Hey there, I’m happy to help you troubleshoot this weird issue.

First, let’s break down what’s happening:

• Your PC crashes when you’re not running resource-intensive programs.
  • The crashes are accompanied by an error in the Event Viewer, specifically with the nvlddmkm driver (NVIDIA graphics driver).
  • The error mentions a BusReset TDR (Timeout Detection and Recovery) occurring on the GPU.
  • You’re also seeing a ton of errors per second related to PCI Express Root Port and WHEA-Logger.

Here’s what I think is going on:

• Your NVIDIA graphics driver is causing issues, specifically when the GPU is not under heavy load.
  • The TDR is a mechanism that resets the GPU when it times out or becomes unresponsive. This is usually a sign of a driver or hardware issue.
  • The PCI Express Root Port errors might be related to the GPU or other components on the PCIe bus.

Now, let’s try to fix this:

1. Update your NVIDIA graphics driver: Make sure you’re running the latest driver from NVIDIA’s website. Sometimes, Windows Update might not have the latest version.
  2. Disable TDR: You can try disabling TDR to see if it resolves the issue. To do this, create a new registry key:
    a. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog.
    b. Type regedit and press Enter.
    c. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers.
    d. Create a new DWORD (32-bit) value named TdrDelay and set its value to 8.
    e. Create another DWORD named TdrDdi and set its value to 0.
  3. Check for motherboard firmware updates: Ensure your motherboard firmware is up to date, as this can sometimes resolve issues with the PCIe bus.
  4. Run a memory stress test: Although you have 32 GB of RAM, it’s still possible that there’s an issue with your memory. Run a memory stress test like MemTest86+ to rule out any problems.
  5. Monitor your system temperatures: High temperatures can cause system instability. Use software like HWiNFO or GPU-Z to monitor your GPU and system temperatures.
  6. Try a clean boot: Perform a clean boot to disable any unnecessary startup programs and services that might be causing issues.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, you might want to consider reinstalling Windows or seeking further assistance from a professional.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions or need further guidance