Paint 3D not defaulting for photo opening, Paint taking over

I'm having a frustrating issue where selecting "Edit with Paint 3D" always opens the file in Paint instead. I'm hoping someone can help me find a solution to this problem.

Hey there,

That’s definitely an annoyance, but it’s not too hard to fix. Here’s what you need to do:

1. Right-click on a file that you want to open in Paint 3D. This can be any image file (jpg, png, etc.).
  2. Select Open With, then Choose another app.
  3. Check the box that says Always use this app to open .jpg files (or whatever type of file you’re using).
  4. Click on More apps, then Look for another app on this PC.
  5. Navigate to the Paint 3D executable, which is usually located in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.MSPaint_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Paint 3D.exe.
  6. Select the Paint 3D executable and click Open.

This should set Paint 3D as the default for opening that file type. If you want to do this for all file types that Paint 3D supports, you’ll need to repeat the process for each file type.

Also, make sure you’re running the latest version of Paint 3D. Sometimes, updates can resolve issues like this. You can check for updates in the Microsoft Store.

If you’re still having issues, try resetting the Paint 3D app by going to Settings > Apps > Apps & features > Paint 3D > Advanced options > Reset. This will reset the app to its default state.

Give these steps a try, and let me know if you still have issues.