Outlook Keeps Crashing on Startup

When I launch Outlook, it becomes unresponsive, although I can still scroll through my inbox. However, I'm unable to click on anything. Eventually, it crashes and closes. After reopening, it works temporarily, but when I right-click on the Calendar to open it in a new window, the same issue occurs. It freezes for 2-3 minutes before displaying a popup.

I've tried reverting to the previous version of Outlook multiple times over the past year, but I keep getting switched back to the new version. It seems like the solution is to allow users to stick with the older, functional version of Outlook instead of forcing us to use the new, problematic one. Since this option is no longer available, I'm looking for a way to make the new version work.

Hey there,

Sounds like you’re having a frustrating experience with the new version of Outlook. Since you can’t stick with the older version, let’s try to troubleshoot and fix the issues you’re facing.

1. Disable Add-ins:

• Launch Outlook in Safe Mode by pressing and holding the Ctrl key while opening the app.
    • If Outlook runs smoothly in Safe Mode, the issue might be related to an add-in.
    • Go to File > Options > Add-ins.
    • Under Manage, select COM Add-ins and press Go.
    • Disable all add-ins, then restart Outlook to see if it works correctly.
    • If it does, re-enable add-ins one by one to identify the problematic one.
  2. Clear the Outlook Cache:

• Close Outlook.
    • Open File Explorer, navigate to %appdata%\Microsoft\Outlook.
    • Delete the Outlook.xml file.
    • Restart Outlook to see if clearing the cache resolves the issue.
  3. Check for Corrupt Calendar Items:

• Try deleting any suspicious calendar entries.
    • If you have many, it might be easier to delete and recreate them.
  4. Update to the Latest Version:

• Ensure you’re using the most recent version of Outlook. Sometimes updates can resolve known issues.
  5. Reset Outlook Settings:

• Back up your Outlook profile and data.
    • Close Outlook.
    • Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
    • Run the command outlook.exe /resetnavpane to reset the navigation panel.

If none of these steps fix the problem, consider reinstalling Outlook or seeking assistance from Microsoft Support.