Outlook Error: Status Stack Overflow - Help Needed!

I'm having an issue with outlook.live.com on my Windows 7 desktop. After entering my email address and password, the program displays the blue envelope icon, but then I get an error message saying "status_stack_overflow."

This error started today, 15/06/2024, on my desktop computer, but I don't have this problem on my laptop or Android mobile phone.

If anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it. I've already tried all the troubleshooting steps from Microsoft and Google Chrome, but none of them worked.

Thanks in advance.

Hey there!

It sounds like you are experiencing an error while trying to access Outlook on your Windows 7 desktop. Specifically, you get a “status_stack_overflow” error after entering your email address and password. This error started today, but you do not experience it on your laptop or Android mobile phone.

Given that you’ve already tried all the troubleshooting steps from Microsoft and Google Chrome without success, let’s take a different approach to resolve this issue.

There are a few possible reasons for this error:

1. Corrupted Session Files:
  • Clear browser data, including history, cookies, and session files. This might have become corrupted and be causing the issue.
  • Take note of the browser you are using, as different browsers may cause this error.
  1. Outdated or Incompatible Browser:
  • Ensure your browser is updated to the latest version, as outdated browsers can cause problems.
  • If you are using Microsoft Edge, try switching to an alternative like Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
  1. System Configuration Issues:
  • Check if your system meets the minimum requirements for Outlook.
  • Ensure you have the necessary permissions and are running the browser as an administrator.

Here are some more detailed steps to try:

1. Restart and Check for Updates:

1. Restart your computer to ensure no temporary issues are causing the problem.
    2. Check for system updates and ensure they are installed.
  2. Clear Browser Cache:

1. Open your browser and navigate to the settings (usually represented by three dots or lines in the corner).
    2. Look for the option to clear browsing data, history, and cache.
    3. Select all options except for saved passwords and other important information.
  3. Try an Alternative Browser:

1. Download and install Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
    2. Open the alternative browser and try logging into Outlook with it.
  4. Run Browser as Administrator:

1. Find the browser executable (usually located in the Programs directory).
    2. Right-click it and select “Run as Administrator.”
    3. Try logging into Outlook again.

If none of these steps help, it might be worth reinstalling Outlook or resetting your system to a previous point if you have a system restore available. It’s also a good idea to keep your system and browser updated and ensure you have the necessary permissions to run the browser smoothly.

Hope this helps you resolve the issue.

Cheers,
Manish

Looks like outlook web access no longer run on web browsers (edge, chrome, brave) that do not have a recent update.
Try Firefox. It works.