Older Windows Virtual Machine Versions Available?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a lightweight OS to install on my VMware virtual machine for network testing purposes. The only option I've found is Windows 11, but it's too large (22 GB). Is there a way to get a smaller version, such as Windows 10 or an older version?

Hey there

Yes, you can definitely get older versions of Windows for your virtual machine. Microsoft provides evaluation versions of Windows 10 and even older versions through their website. Here’s what you can do:

Option 1: Windows 10 Evaluation

You can download the Windows 10 Enterprise Evaluation version from Microsoft’s website. This version is free and has a 90-day trial period. It’s a great option for testing purposes, and it’s smaller than Windows 11, coming in at around 4-5 GB.

Option 2: Older Windows Versions

If you need an even older version of Windows, you can try the Internet Archive. They have a collection of older Windows versions, including Windows 7, Windows XP, and even Windows 98 However, keep in mind that these versions might not be officially supported by Microsoft anymore, and you might need to use workarounds to get them running on your virtual machine.

How to get Windows 10 Evaluation:

1. Head over to Microsoft’s Evaluation Center website.
  2. Click on the “Windows 10 Enterprise Evaluation” link.
  3. Select the language and edition you want (64-bit or 32-bit).
  4. Create a Microsoft account or sign in if you already have one.
  5. Download the ISO file (around 4-5 GB).
  6. Create a new virtual machine in VMware and install the ISO file.

Tips and Notes:

• Make sure you have enough disk space and resources allocated to your virtual machine.
  • Windows 10 Evaluation will expire after 90 days, so you’ll need to recreate the VM or upgrade to a licensed version if you need it for longer.
  • Older Windows versions might not be compatible with newer hardware or software, so you might need to use workarounds or virtualization tools to get them running.

I hope this helps Let me know if you have any further questions.