Office Apps Display Gibberish Text with Aptos Display Font

Using a Windows PC.

I'm experiencing an issue where the Aptos Display font appears as gibberish characters in any document within office applications. This is a major problem for me as I need to use these apps for work and can't simply avoid using this font. I'm unable to effectively view or edit documents with my team, or even read and respond to emails that use this font.

This issue only occurs in desktop applications, not in web applications.

In Outlook, the text only changes to gibberish when I'm in an editing window, such as when I want to reply or forward, but not in the reading pane.

PowerPoint: v16.67

Outlook: v16.85.2

Optional Connected Experiences are turned on.

I totally get why this is a major problem for you - Aptos Display is supposed to make your documents look snazzy, not illegible!

First, let’s separate the symptoms from the culprits. The fact that this only happens in desktop applications (not web) and only affects the Aptos Display font suggests there might be a specific issue with how Windows 10 is rendering that font in the Office apps.

Here are some potential steps to help you troubleshoot and maybe even fix the issue:

1. Update your Windows Font Drivers: Sometimes, these can become outdated or corrupted. Open the Settings app, go to Update & Security, and click Check for Updates. Install any available updates, especially ones related to fonts or graphics drivers.

2. Check for Font Installation Issues: It’s possible there’s a problem with how the Aptos Display font is installed on your system. Open the File Explorer, go to Control Panel, and then Fonts. Check if the Aptos Display font is indeed installed and listed correctly. If not, try reinstalling it from a trusted source.

3. Office App Updates: Ensure your Office apps are fully updated. Open any Office app (e.g., PowerPoint, Outlook), click on File, then Account, and finally Update Options. Click Update Now to check for and install any new updates.

4. Disable and Re-enable Optional Connected Experiences: Sometimes, these extras can interfere with font rendering. Open any Office app, go to File, then Account, and finally Account Settings. Under Optional Connected Experiences, toggle the switch off, wait a few seconds, and then toggle it back on. This might help Office reconnect to the font services.

5. Reset Office Apps to Default Settings: If all else fails, you can try resetting each Office app to its default settings. Open each app, go to File, then Options, and finally Reset. This will restore the default settings but will also remove any custom settings you may have.

If none of these steps solve the issue, you might want to consider reaching out to Microsoft Support directly for further assistance or checking if others are experiencing similar issues with the Aptos Display font.

Oh, and just for kicks, have you tried using a different font temporarily to see if the gibberish persists?