No Notification Banners in Action Center

I've been struggling with a problem for two days, trying multiple fixes, but none have worked to get my Action Center working again. Initially, my Start Menu, Search Bar, and Action Center were not functioning properly, but I managed to fix the Start Menu and Search Bar. Since I rely heavily on notifications for emails and reminders, I'd like to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Here are the things I've tried that didn't work:

Running sfc /scannow commands with admin permissions multiple times

Running DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and /ScanHealth commands multiple times

Performing System Recovery to restore to an earlier point several times

Changing registry entries, including setting the Start value to 4, and ensuring all application permissions

Trying a repair upgrade, which didn't make a difference

Using the Tweaking.com tool, which partially restored functionality to my Start Menu, clock, and search bar, but not my Action Center

I also tried running these commands in an elevated PowerShell with admin permissions:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*Cortana*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*ShellExperienceHost*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

I'm at a loss for what to do next. I'd rather not perform a clean install of Windows just to fix my Action Center, and I suspect the latest June update might be the cause, since everything was working fine before my PC updated overnight.

Thank you for any help offered. I really appreciate it!

Hey there, I feel your frustration I’ve gone through your troubleshooting attempts, and it’s impressive how thorough you’ve been. Since you’ve already tried the usual suspects, let’s dive deeper into some more advanced troubleshooting steps.

First, let’s try to isolate the issue by checking the Windows Notification System service. This service is responsible for displaying notifications in the Action Center. Here’s what you can do:

1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
  2. Type services.msc and press Enter to open the Services console.
  3. Scroll down and find the Windows Notification System service.
  4. Check if the service is running. If it’s not, right-click on it and select Start.
  5. Also, ensure that the Startup type is set to Automatic.

If the service is already running, or if starting it doesn’t resolve the issue, let’s try to reset the Windows Notification System. Here’s how:

1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
  2. Type wsreset.exe and press Enter. This will reset the Windows Store and its associated services, including the Windows Notification System.

Next, let’s try to reinstall the Windows Notification System package. Here’s how:

1. Open the Command Prompt as an administrator.
  2. Type the following command and press Enter: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemNotification*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it’s possible that the problem lies with a specific app or its notification settings. Try disabling all notifications for a specific app, then re-enabling them to see if that resolves the issue.

Lastly, since you suspect the June update might be the cause, you can try uninstalling the update and seeing if that resolves the issue. To do this:

1. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Update history.
  2. Click on Uninstall updates.
  3. Find the June update (it should be listed as KBxxxxxx) and uninstall it.

Remember to restart your system after uninstalling the update.

I hope one of these steps resolves the issue for you If not, feel free to provide more details, and we can continue troubleshooting together.