No Dolby Atmos on My AVR When Streaming from PC

I'm having an issue with my mini desktop computer's audio settings. When I set my sound to Dolby Atmos using the Dolby App, my Marantz AVR recognizes it and the sound quality is great. However, when I stream content from any service, I only get multi-channel audio, not Dolby Atmos. I don't even get 5.1 surround sound. The only way I can get 5.1 sound is by disabling the Dolby Atmos setting in Windows sound settings. Despite spending hours searching online, I couldn't find a solution to this problem.

It's confusing that I can listen to Dolby Atmos with the Dolby App, but when I leave the sound settings the same, I can't get Dolby Atmos while streaming - it gets downmixed to multi-channel audio instead.

It seems like you’re running into an issue with passing Dolby Atmos audio through your Marantz AVR when streaming from your PC. This is a common problem, and I’m here to help you troubleshoot it.

First off, let’s break down the possible causes:

1. Licensing and Certification: Dolby Atmos requires proper licensing and certification from content providers and streaming services. Ensure that the content you’re streaming supports Dolby Atmos.
  2. Bitstreaming and Formats: Check if your streaming service supports multi-channel audio formats like Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, or DTS:X. These formats are required for Atmos to work.
  3. Audio Settings in Edge: Open Microsoft Edge and go to Settings > System Settings > Audio. Make sure the Output audio format is set to Dolby Atmos or Bitstream. This will allow Edge to pass through the audio signal without converting it.
  4. Windows Sound Settings: Go to Windows Settings > System > Sound. Ensure that the Dolby Atmos setting is enabled and the Spatial Audio format is set to Dolby Atmos.
  5. AVR Settings: Double-check your Marantz AVR settings to ensure it’s set to Dolby Atmos or Auto mode. This will allow it to detect and process the Atmos signal correctly.

Here’s what you can try to resolve the issue:

Step-by-Step Troubleshooting:

1. Disable and Re-enable Dolby Atmos: Disable the Dolby Atmos setting in Windows Sound Settings, then re-enable it.
  2. Check for Updates: Ensure your Marantz AVR has the latest firmware and your Dolby App is updated to the latest version.
  3. Reset Audio Settings: Reset your audio settings in Edge and Windows to their default states.
  4. Test with Different Content: Try streaming different content that supports Dolby Atmos to rule out issues with a specific title.
  5. Check for Conflicts: Disable any additional audio enhancements or plugins that might be interfering with the Atmos signal.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, you might want to consider reaching out to the streaming services or content providers to confirm their Atmos support. Additionally, you can try using different browsers or media players that support Dolby Atmos to see if the issue persists.

Let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance.