New Outlook Wont Let Me Access IMAP Accounts

Suddenly, my IMAP accounts stopped working, and I was signed out of all of them. Now, I'm unable to sign back in. The error message suggests I need an 'app password', but that's not the issue.

As a temporary solution, I switched to the classic Outlook, but that's no longer a viable option.

I need assistance to resolve this problem.

Sounds frustrating Let’s troubleshoot this issue step by step.

One possibility is that the issue is related to changes in Outlook’s security settings or your email provider’s policies. Since you mentioned the “app password” error, but that’s not the problem, let’s explore a few other potential causes:

1. Two-factor authentication (2FA): If your email provider has recently enabled 2FA, you’ll need to set up an app password for Outlook. This might be the case even if you don’t usually use 2FA.

To check:

1. Log in to your email provider’s web interface.

2. Look for the security or account settings.

3. Check if 2FA is enabled or if there are any app password requirements for third-party applications like Outlook.

4. Follow the provider’s instructions to set up an app password if needed.

5. IMAP settings: It’s possible your IMAP settings in Outlook have been changed or become outdated.

1. Open Outlook and go to File > Add Account.
    2. Enter your email address and password.
    3. Select “Manual setup or additional server types.”
    4. Choose “Internet Email” and enter your IMAP server details (server address, port, encryption method).
    5. Ensure your IMAP settings match the ones provided by your email provider.
  6. Outlook updates: If you’ve recently updated Outlook, it might be causing compatibility issues with your IMAP accounts.

1. Check for any recent updates in your Outlook settings.
    2. Try reinstalling or rolling back to a previous version of Outlook if you suspect the update caused the issue.
  7. Email provider changes: Your email provider might have made changes to their IMAP settings or security policies.

1. Check your email provider’s support pages or forums for any recent updates or changes.
    2. Ensure your email provider still supports IMAP and that their settings haven’t changed.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, provide more details about your error message, email provider, and Outlook version, and we can further troubleshoot the problem.