My Xbox Account Has Been Hacked

To the Microsoft team,

I'm concerned that my Hotmail account is being compromised by hackers who are accessing it through an unknown Xbox account linked to my Hotmail. Despite signing out of Xbox, the account keeps relinking after a few seconds.

Could you please delete or completely disconnect this Xbox account?

Thank you,

Hey there,

Sorry to hear you’re dealing with this frustrating issue. Here’s some advice to help you regain control of your Hotmail account and separate it from the suspected Xbox account:

To begin with, you should change the password of your Hotmail account immediately. Make sure to choose a strong password that’s unique, not previously used, and contains a mix of characters, numbers, and special characters.

Next, go to the Microsoft account security page and sign in with your Hotmail account. Here’s where you can manage all the devices and apps connected to your account. Look for any suspicious or unknown devices, especially those listed as Xbox. Remove these connections to break the link with the potential hacker.

Now, let’s tackle the Xbox account. If you remember the Xbox account login details, sign in and change its password as well, following the same best practices for strong passwords.

If you can’t access the Xbox account, report it to Xbox support. They can help you recover or possibly delete the account:

1. Head to Xbox support and select ‘Report a hacked account.’
  2. Follow the process to report the suspected hacked account and request assistance.

In addition, you can enhance your Hotmail account security with two-factor authentication (2FA). This adds an extra layer of protection, ensuring hackers cannot easily access your account without both the correct password and a verification code sent to your registered phone:

1. Go back to the Microsoft account security page.
  2. Click on ‘Two-factor verification.’
  3. Follow the instructions to enable 2FA for your Hotmail account.

Lastly, keep a close eye on your account activity, monitoring any suspicious login attempts or unfamiliar device connections. If you continue to experience issues, feel free to reach out for further assistance.

Good luck sorting this out, and stay secure