Missing battery mode options (Best performance, Better battery, Battery saver) in settings

I encountered an issue with my laptop's power adapter, which triggered a warning message saying "The AC power adapter wattage and type could not be determined". This problem occurs every time I turn on my laptop while charging it. The issue is that when this happens, my battery percentage remains stuck for hours, CPU usage is capped at 23%, and my PC becomes slow. If I let the battery drain to 0% and then recharge it, the problem persists even after fixing the adapter issue. Additionally, I've noticed a strange slider issue, as shown in the image. Can someone explain why this is happening and how to fix it? It's frustrating because I have to open the mobility center every time I want to switch from battery saver to high performance mode.

I think I know what’s going on here.

First, let’s tackle the warning message about the AC power adapter wattage and type. This is likely causing your laptop to throttle the CPU and limit performance to prevent overheating or damage.

To fix this, try the following steps:

1. Go to Device Manager (Press Windows + X and select Device Manager).
  2. Expand the Batteries section.
  3. Right-click on Microsoft AC Adapter and select Uninstall device.
  4. Restart your laptop.
  5. Windows should automatically reinstall the driver. If not, go back to Device Manager, right-click on Batteries, and select Scan for hardware changes.

Now, about the missing battery mode options:

It’s possible that the power adapter issue has somehow corrupted your power settings. Let’s try to reset them:

1. Open Command Prompt as an administrator (right-click on the Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin)).
  2. Type the following command and press Enter: powercfg /restoredefaults
  3. Restart your laptop.

This should restore the default power plans, including the Best performance, Better battery, and Battery saver options.

If the issue persists, you can try deleting the power settings file:

1. Open File Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\energy
  2. Look for the file energy.dll and delete it.
  3. Restart your laptop.

This should force Windows to recreate the power settings file.

Lastly, regarding the slider issue, it’s likely related to the power adapter warning. Once you’ve resolved the adapter issue and restored the default power plans, the slider should behave normally again.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, you may want to consider resetting Windows or seeking further assistance from the manufacturer or a Windows support forum.