Migrate All Data from Old PC to New One

I'm seeking advice on transferring data between two PCs, both running Windows. My old PC has three storage devices: a hard drive with Windows and personal files, and two SSDs with games and miscellaneous data. My new PC has a single NVMe SSD with Windows installed. I want to transfer all my old data to the new PC, but I'm unsure about the best approach.

Specifically, if I connect the old hard drive with Windows to my new PC, which already has its own Windows installation, what will happen? Will I end up with two separate drives, each with their own System32 and Windows folders? Is this a safe and recommended approach, or should I take a different route to avoid potential issues? If so, how can I remove the Windows installation from the old hard drive while preserving my personal files?

For context, the old hard drive with Windows is a 2TB Barracuda model.

So you want to transfer data from your old PC to your new one. You’ve got multiple storage devices on both systems, which can make things a bit complicated.

Method 1: Using an External Drive

You can use the old hard drive with Windows on it to transfer your data to the new PC. Here’s a safe and recommended approach:

1. Backup the data you need:

• Connect the old hard drive to the new PC.
    • Identify the personal files you need to keep. These are typically stored in directories like Documents, Pictures, and Videos.
    • Copy those files to your new PC, making sure to use a suitable folder structure to keep things organized.
  2. Remove the Windows installation from the old hard drive:

• Format the old hard drive:
      • Right-click the old hard drive in File Explorer and select ‘Format’. This will erase all data, so make sure you’ve backed up your important files.
    • Re-use the drive for storage or dispose of it:
      • Once formatted, you can use the old hard drive for storage or safely dispose of it according to local regulations.
  3. Transfer games and miscellaneous data from the SSDs:

• Copy files directly:
      • Connect the old SSDs to the new PC and copy the files to the new NVMe SSD.

Method 2: Using Cloud Storage

Alternatively, you can use cloud storage services like OneDrive to transfer your data:

1. Set up OneDrive on both PCs:

• Install OneDrive on both your old and new PCs.
    • Sign in with the same Microsoft account to ensure synchronization.
  2. Upload data to OneDrive:

• On the old PC, select the files you want to transfer, and upload them to OneDrive.
  3. Download data to the new PC:

• On the new PC, log in to OneDrive with the same account and download your uploaded files.

Tips and cautions**:

• Avoid overwriting system files: Always copy personal data into new directories to avoid accidentally overwriting system files on your new PC.
  • Digital rights-managed files: Digitally protected files like purchased music might not work after copying. It’s best to re-download them from their original sources.

Given your storage setup, the local transfer method should work well for you. However, using cloud storage like OneDrive can provide added convenience and protection for your files.