Microsoft Teams Not Working on 5G Mobile Connection

The Teams app functions properly on Wi-Fi and 4G mobile networks, but when I switch to a 5G mobile network, the audio during calls keeps dropping, even though screen sharing continues to work. This issue persists regardless of the Android version or handset manufacturer.

The 5G woes, eh? Don’t worry, I’m here to help you troubleshoot this Teams issue.

First, let’s cover the basics:

1. Check your 5G connection’s stability: Ensure your phone has a solid 5G signal and there aren’t any network congestion issues. Often, a weak signal can cause call drops. Try moving to a spot with better coverage or switching to a different 5G frequency.

Next, let’s drill down on the Teams settings:

1. Toggle Teams’ audio settings:
    a. Go to the Teams app and tap your profile picture.
    b. Tap Settings.
    c. Scroll down to the Call section.
    d. Toggle Use high-quality video and audio OFF and ON to test if it makes a difference.

Now, let’s inspect your phone’s settings:

1. Check Android’s Doze mode:
    a. Go to Settings on your phone.
    b. Scroll down and tap Battery.
    c. Tap Battery saver or Power saving.
    d. Ensure “Doze mode” or “Adaptive battery saving” isn’t interfering with Teams. You can either disable it or add Teams as an exception.

2. Disable any VPNs or ad blockers: Active VPNs or ad blockers can disrupt Teams’ audio. Temporarily disable them to see if that resolves the issue.

Finally, let’s look at Teams updates and app data:

1. Ensure the Teams app is updated:
    a. Open the Google Play Store.
    b. Tap the Menu (three horizontal lines).
    c. Tap My apps & games.
    d. If an update for Teams is available, install it.

2. Clear Teams app data:
    a. Go to Settings on your phone.
    b. Scroll down and tap Apps (or Application Manager).
    c. Find and tap Microsoft Teams.
    d. Tap Storage.
    e. Tap Clear data and Clear cache.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it’s possible that there’s a problem with your mobile network or Teams itself. Reach out to your network provider or Microsoft support for further assistance. Good luck, and let us know if you need more help