Microsoft Edge Wont Stop Storing Third-Party Cookies - Why?

Why does Microsoft Edge keep saving third-party cookies and site data despite my settings?

I've set Tracking Prevention to 'Strict' under 'Privacy, search, and services'.

I've also enabled 'Block third-party cookies' under 'Cookies and site permissions'/'Manage and delete cookies and site data'.

When I go to 'Cookies and site permissions'/'Manage and delete cookies and site data'/'See all cookies and site data', I can filter the results by 'all', 'first party', or 'third party'.

Since I've blocked third-party cookies, I expect nothing to show up under the 'third party' filter.

However, here's what I found:

Cookies and data stored for sites I've browsed:

Filter by: Third party

live.com

990 bytes • 30 cookies

microsoft.com

104 MB • 21 cookies

microsoftonline.com

0 bytes • 19 cookies

google.com

2 KB • 9 cookies

youtube.com

300 KB • 7 cookies

I had deleted some other sites from the list.

Can Microsoft Edge fix this issue?

Hi there,

I understand your concern about Microsoft Edge storing third-party cookies despite your settings. There are a few possible reasons for this issue. Here are some suggestions to help resolve it:

1. Clear Browsing Data: Sometimes, simply clearing your browsing data can resolve the issue. Try this:

• Open Microsoft Edge.
    • Press Ctrl + Shift + Delete (Windows) or Command + Shift + Delete (Mac).
    • In the pop-up window, ensure the ‘Cookies and other site data’ and ‘Site permissions’ options are selected.
    • Choose ‘All time’ for the time range.
    • Click ‘Clear now.’
  2. Check and Disable Exceptions: It’s possible that some sites are whitelisted in the ‘Cookies and site permissions’ settings. Check for exceptions:

• Go to the ‘Cookies and site permissions’ settings.
    • Under ‘Manage and delete cookies and site data,’ click ‘Manage permissions.’
    • Look for sites that may be allowed to store third-party cookies and remove any exceptions you don’t want.
  3. Update Microsoft Edge: Ensure you’re running the latest version of Microsoft Edge. Updates often include bug fixes that might resolve issues like this. Check for updates:

• Open Microsoft Edge.
    • Click on the three dots in the top right corner.
    • Go to ‘Help and feedback’ and select ‘About Microsoft Edge.’
    • Microsoft Edge will check for updates and prompt you to install if any are available.
  4. Consider Resetting Microsoft Edge Settings: If none of the above steps help, you might need to reset Microsoft Edge to its default settings. Be aware that this will remove all installed extensions and reset your browser settings:

• Open Microsoft Edge.
    • Go to ‘Settings’ by clicking the three dots in the top right corner.
    • Scroll down and click ‘Reset settings.’
    • Confirm you want to reset Microsoft Edge.

If these steps don’t resolve the issue, there might be other factors involved. Feel free to come back if you need further assistance.