McAfee and Norton detect virus, but Windows Security says my PC is clean. Why the discrepancy?

I’m using Windows 11 and recently clicked on an old link in Microsoft Edge. Suddenly, I started getting popup notifications from Norton and McAfee, warning me about a virus called “561a6pma4vcdudzeda.lwork.co.in” on my computer. This is weird because I’ve never had a McAfee subscription and cancelled Norton two years ago. Neither of these antivirus apps shows up in my Add/Remove Programs.

After getting these notifications, I ran Windows Security, checked for updates, and then ran a quick scan. It said no threats were found.

I searched online for “561a6pma4vcdudzeda.lwork.co.in” but found nothing. I’ve attached some screenshots.

What’s going on with these conflicting responses?

Here is the response:

You are getting notifications from Norton and McAfee, but they aren’t showing up in your Add/Remove Programs. This is likely because they are running trial versions that you didn’t install intentionally. These trials often come pre-installed on new computers, and they can start sending you alerts and prompts even after you’ve uninstalled them.

1. Remove any remaining McAfee and Norton files:
    • Follow the uninstallation guides from McAfee and Norton support sites. Make sure to remove all associated files and components.
  2. Use the built-in Windows tools to check for and remove malware:
    • Open Windows Security and run a full system scan. This will help remove any malware that Windows Security can detect.
  3. Disable any trial subscriptions:
    • Check your credit card statements and cancel any subscriptions to McAfee or Norton if you no longer use them. This should stop any further alerts.
  4. Keep Windows and its security software up to date:
    • Ensure your Windows operating system and its built-in security tools are updated with the latest patches and definitions.

These steps should help resolve the discrepancy and stop the alerts from McAfee and Norton.