Low Headphone and Mic Volume in Microsoft Teams Only

I'm experiencing an issue with low headphone and mic levels, but only in Teams. This problem doesn't occur in Skype or Windows.

When I make a test call in Teams, the sound is very faint and the microphone doesn't pick up my voice. However, if I switch to using my Surface's built-in speakers and microphone, everything works as expected. The same is true when using Surface Earbuds with Bluetooth connectivity.

In contrast, my volume levels are normal and the microphone functions properly in Skype and Windows Settings.

Hey there,

I’ve seen this issue before, and it’s usually due to Teams not picking up the correct audio devices. Let’s troubleshoot it step-by-step.

First, ensure you’re running the latest version of Microsoft Teams. Sometimes, updates can resolve these kinds of issues. Open Teams, click on your profile picture in the top-right corner, and then click ‘Check for updates’.

Now, let’s check your audio settings in Teams:

1. Open Teams and click on your profile picture in the top-right corner.
  2. Click on Settings from the dropdown menu.
  3. Scroll down to the ‘Audio devices’ section.
  4. Make sure the correct headphone and mic are selected as the default devices for both Speaker and Microphone.

If you’re still having issues, try resetting your audio devices:

1. Go to Windows Settings (Press Win + I).
  2. Click on System > Sound.
  3. Under ‘Related Settings’, click on ‘Sound Control Panel’.
  4. In the new window, select your headphones and click ‘Properties’.
  5. In the Properties window, click on the ‘Advanced’ tab.
  6. Click on ‘Reset’ to reset the device to its default settings.
  7. Repeat the process for your microphone.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, you can try disabling and re-enabling your audio devices in Windows:

1. Press Win + X and select Device Manager.
  2. In Device Manager, expand ‘Sound, video and game controllers’.
  3. Right-click on your headphone and microphone devices and select ‘Disable device’.
  4. Wait for 5 seconds, then enable them again.

If you’re still struggling, feel free to provide more details, and we’ll dig deeper!

Hope this helps