Local OneDrive Files Replaced with Shortcuts - Why Did This Happen?

I'm having an issue with shared files on OneDrive. Previously, files shared with my partner would sync locally on their PC, but suddenly they've disappeared and only show up as shortcuts in File Explorer. When clicked, they open in the web browser version of OneDrive instead of the local file. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but nothing has worked. I want to get back to having all shared files sync on both our PCs. Any ideas what's causing this and how to fix it?

So you’re running into the OneDrive shortcut issue where your shared files are replaced with shortcuts that open in the web version. This can be frustrating, especially if you rely on having those files synced locally.

Firstly, let’s cover why this might be happening:

• OneDrive Settings: It’s possible that the OneDrive settings on your partner’s PC have been inadvertently changed, causing files to be synced as shortcuts instead of full files.
  • Storage Space: If the OneDrive storage space is running low, it might automatically switch to the ‘Files On-Demand’ mode, where files are only stored as shortcuts locally, opening in the web browser when accessed.
  • Software Updates: Sometimes, after a software update, OneDrive settings can get reset or altered, leading to this kind of behavior.

Here are some steps to troubleshoot and resolve the issue:

1. Check OneDrive Settings: On your partner’s PC, open OneDrive, click on the gear icon, and then select ‘Settings’. In the ‘Account’ tab, make sure the ‘Files On-Demand’ option is set to ‘Off’ or ‘Download files as you use them’. This should ensure that files are downloaded locally.

2. Check Storage Space: Ensure that you have enough storage space available on OneDrive. If you’re running low, consider upgrading your storage plan or freeing up space by deleting unnecessary files.

3. Sign Out and Sign Back In: On your partner’s PC, sign out of OneDrive and then sign back in. This can sometimes reset any corrupted settings.

4. Re-Sync Shared Folders: Right-click on the shared folder in OneDrive and select ‘Choose OneDrive folders to sync’. Ensure the folders you want to sync locally are selected.

5. Verify File Explorer Settings: In File Explorer, navigate to the folder where the shortcuts are appearing. Right-click on the folder, select ‘Properties’, and then uncheck the ‘Hide files, folders, and drives’ option under the ‘View’ tab. This will display all files, not just shortcuts.

6. Reinstall OneDrive (Again): If none of the above steps work, try reinstalling OneDrive again, but this time, use the ‘Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant’ tool to completely uninstall OneDrive before reinstalling it.

If you’ve tried all these steps and the issue persists, consider reaching out to Microsoft Support directly for more personalized assistance. Good luck, and I hope you get your files syncing correctly again