Laptop Camera Not Working: How to Troubleshoot and Fix

I'm having trouble with my laptop's camera and need help resolving the issue on Windows 11.

Hey there, having troubles with your laptop’s camera on Windows 11, huh? Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered. Let’s troubleshoot and possibly fix the issue.

First, ensure that your camera is enabled in Windows. Here’s how:

1. Check Camera Permission: Go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Camera. Make sure Camera access is turned on and ‘Let apps access your camera’ is also turned on.

If this doesn’t resolve the issue, move on to the next steps:

1. Restart Your PC: A simple restart could resolve connectivity issues. Ensure you restart your PC properly, not just from sleep mode.

2. Run the Camera Troubleshooter: The Get Help app can automatically run diagnostics and fix most camera issues:

• Press Windows key + I to open Settings.
    • Navigate to System > Troubleshooter > Other troubleshooters.
    • Click ‘Run’ next to Camera to open the Get Help app.
  3. Update Your Camera Driver: Malfunctioning drivers can cause issues:

• Using Windows Update:
      • Go to Settings > Windows Update.
      • Check for new updates.
      • If any camera driver updates are available, install and restart your PC.
    • Using Device Manager:
      • Press Windows key + X and choose Device Manager.
      • In the Device Manager, expand Cameras, right-click on the Integrated Webcam, and select ‘Update driver’.
      • Browse your computer for drivers and select the one similar to the version installed via Windows Update.
  4. Uninstall and Reinstall Camera Driver:

• Uninstall:
      • Go back to Device Manager, right-click on the Integrated Webcam and select ‘Uninstall device’.
      • Check the box to delete the driver software for this device.
    • Reinstall:
      • Restart your PC.
      • The camera should automatically reinstall.
  5. Check for Physical Camera Switch or Button: Some laptops have a physical switch or button that turns the camera on or off. Ensure it’s in the ‘on’ position if your laptop has one.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, you might need to download and install a specific driver from your laptop manufacturer’s website or check your antivirus settings for any camera blocking.

Let me know if any of these steps help you get your camera working again.