Keyboard Not Working - Help Needed

Hi, I'm using the on-screen keyboard because my physical keyboard has stopped working. The problem started when my keyboard was lagging. I checked my settings but didn't find anything unusual. As a last resort, I tried updating my keyboard driver, but it removed the entire keyboard section. I've searched for solutions online but couldn't find any. Unfortunately, I don't have any system restore points and can't purchase anything to fix the issue.

Hey there, sorry to hear that your keyboard has stopped working. That can be super frustrating.

First, let’s try to troubleshoot the issue. Since updating the keyboard driver removed the entire keyboard section, it’s possible that the update went wrong or there’s a conflict with another driver. Here’s what you can try:

1. Revert the driver update: Go to Device Manager (Press the Windows key + X and select Device Manager), find the Keyboards section (it should be hidden now, but you can find it by expanding the “View” menu and checking the box next to “Show hidden devices”), right-click on the keyboard device, and select “Roll back driver.”

If that doesn’t work, try:
2. Uninstall the keyboard driver: In Device Manager, find the Keyboards section, right-click on the keyboard device, and select “Uninstall device.” Then, restart your computer and let Windows reinstall the driver automatically.

If the above steps don’t fix the issue, we can try some additional troubleshooting:

Check for conflicts with other devices

Sometimes, a conflicting device can cause issues with your keyboard. Here’s how to check for conflicts:

1. Open Device Manager: Press the Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
  2. Expand each category: Go through each category (like “Keyboards,” “Mice and other pointing devices,” “Universal Serial Bus Controllers,” etc.) and look for any devices with a yellow exclamation mark or a red X. These indicate conflicts or issues.
  3. Disable conflicting devices: Right-click on any conflicting devices and select “Disable device.” Then, restart your computer and see if your keyboard starts working.

Try a different USB port or keyboard

If you’re using a USB keyboard, try plugging it into a different USB port. If you have a spare keyboard, try using that one to rule out any issues with your current keyboard.

Lastly, if none of these steps work, you can try performing a System File Checker (SFC) scan to fix any corrupted system files that might be causing the issue. Here’s how to do it:

Run an SFC scan

1. Open Command Prompt as an administrator: Press the Windows key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
  2. Run the SFC command: Type sfc /scannow and press Enter. The scan might take a while, so be patient.

I hope one of these steps helps you get your keyboard working again. Good luck